Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 2005 Infiniti Q45 - VIN#JNKBF01AX5M100782, engine

Customer Question

I have a 2005 Infiniti Q45 - VIN#JNKBF01AX5M100782, engine #VK45(DE) 4494cc. Jay has helped me with other issues. I have error codes for the catalytic converter. Aside from changing the 2 catalytic converters, should I also change the y-tube which holds
the catalytic converters? How about the resonator? If change either, do I need to have the dealer reset engine codes to ensure smooth ride?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
If you have both catt codes, that only means the catt converters need to be replaced. If you want to change more of the exhaust, I would only due it if it's needed. Replacing the Catt Converters doesn't require any other parts of the exhaust to be replaced.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What is general price for the cat converter? Can I use aftermarket part? I'm only looking to keep the car for less than a year before trading up?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
What I would do is clear the codes first and see how long it takes for the codes to return first. See if you can get more time out of the ones in there.
The cost of catts is around 7 to 800 each and are part of the exhaust manifold. I don't think thy are available after market, but if they are they normally don't work. So I would see how long you can go before changing them. Its a expensive repair.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Advance Auto quoted me $686 for the cat but they also quoted me $126 for a universal converter. Is the universal good enough to help me get another year out of the car or do you think it will cause other issues?Also, if I keep driving my car with cat converter issue, what are the risks aside from loss of fuel efficiency?Could there be any other reason for the P0420 and P0430 error codes other than the cat converter or is it normally the main issue?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just found a 2005 Infiniti Q45 Evan Fischer Catalytic Converter below, would this work?2005 Infiniti Q45 - EVAN FISCHER DIRECT FIT CATALYTIC CONVERTER
This direct fit item is manufactured from high quality and durable stainless steel catalytic case, 16-gauge aluminized steel tubes, and heat shield for long lasting durability and for better protection. It also features honeycomb catalyst that has maximum surface area flow. OBD-II and EPA compliant catalytic converter; It is a high quality aftermarket replacement for the OEM catalytic converter. Designed for easy installation - it requires no cutting or welding! This is manufactured in accordance to industry standards to ensure product durability and reliability; best of all, EvanFischer products are covered by 5-year or 50,000-mile limited warranty.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Here's a picture; does it look correct?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I can't open that word doc.. My word is to old.. lol
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
The Catt Converter is part of the Exhaust manifold. After Market Catts really don't work right. The Universal as good as it sounds, I can't see how it would work since the catt is part of the exhaust manifold.
http://www.autopartswarehouse.com/sku/Infiniti/Q45/Benchmark/Catalytic_Converter/2002-2005/BEN4522D.html?apwcid=pgrabber&003=27847496&010=05IntiQ445CaicCoerBerkBEN4522D
It looks more like this.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hmm, let me do a little more research and I'll get back to you this weekend. Thanks.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Ok.. Thanks Jay!