Fix_It_Man
Fix_It_Man, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I am an ASE certified Master Technician with over 15 years of Infiniti experience.
1627031

Infinti G20: I have a 2000 G20 that idles rough and stalls

Customer Question

I have a 2000 G20 that idles rough and stalls all the time
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Hello, my name is Bobby. Can you tell me if the check engine light is coming on? Does it only stall at idle? Does it run fine at higher speeds?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Yes with the P0100 code but I replaced the sensor with a new one over a month ago. It only stalls when I let my foot of the accelerator for more than a second or two. For the most part it runs fine as long as the car is moving. It only want to die when I let my foot off the pedal.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. You need to start by cleaning out the throttle body. If the throttle plate and bore are really dirty then this will occur. If those are fine then it sounds like you may have a vacuum leak. Did you happen to already check for this?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it acts like the EGR valve is opening while it is at idle which upsets the fuel air mix and slows the RPM's down to the point of stall.
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
Thank you. It does sound like a vacuum leak, which can be caused by the EGR. Has it been checked?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How do you check the EGR valve for vacuum leaks?
Expert:  Fix_It_Man replied 1 year ago.
I would start by pulling the vacuum line from the top of the egr valve to see if anything changes. If not then I would remove the egr valve and make sure that the pintle is fully seated and that it moves freely when vacuum is applied.