Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti qx56: The intel cruise will not let the cruise control

Customer Question

The intel cruise will not let the cruise control come on sometimes when just the one cruise control light comes on the regular cruise works?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
I am afraid to say, this is most likely a Laser issue. If your truck is equip with ICC ( Intelligent Cruise Control ) it does not have a Regular Cruise Control system to fall back on. It's one particular type cruise control system. This laser is a expensive sensor. What I would recommend is if your under 100k miles before going to the dealer to have them check this, look into seeing if you can buy a extended warranty. If you were to buy a Infiniti Extended warranty it would cover the cost of the laser. The reason I am suggesting to look into the extended warranty is cause the laser is around 1300 dollars not including labor. It would be better to put that type of money into something that could be even more helpful if needed.
The way it is determined if the laser is bad is performing what they call "CAN Diagnostics" This is when all control units are checked which also checks to see if it can communicate with the Laser. See image fore what it looks like on the scanner when a bad laser is detected.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/CAN%20Image.jpg
Green lines are good, Yellow is a communication problem, Red is unit failure.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
why would the cruise come on when only one of the two lights are on? the cruise light in the center of the consol comes on by itself then the cruise works when both lights come on it will not work ,, What is the little car video have to do with it? when that comes on it works?
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You can still turn it on, it just won't set if the laser is bad.
If the car with the distance control lines comes up on the screen then it is working. Most common is when there is moisture is when it acts up.
Thanks Jay!