Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti G35: Hey Roy, I recently purchased a used 2005 Infiniti

Customer Question

Hey Roy, I recently purchased a used 2005 Infiniti g35 with 134,000 miles, when I test drove it (~80 miles through traffic, highway, and low speed city driving) I had no problems! Now that I've purchased it, it seems at random intervals the vehicle I'll start to buck slightly creating a back a forth movement sensation, almost like part of the drive line is getting hung up and let go at a fairly rapid pace, it will continue to do this (no steering brake or transmission change input will effect the severity or frequency of the sensation) at first I thought it was to do with the suspension as the feeling is quite similar to a blown strut but all the suspension checks out, any idea what could be going on? It doesn't make any odd noises and the accelerator is not effected it just simply feels like it is being tugged back and forth while driving. Any help would be greatly appreciated thank you -Joe
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Is this AWD ? Also is this a coupe or sedan?
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It is not awd and it is a sedan! It is the 5 speed automatic with "manual" shift
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Is the bucking your feeling forward to back? or side to side? Are you in the middle of shifting when you feel this as well?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Forward and back! And it happens intermittently but when it starts it is constant through the gear and while changing, there is no noticeable difference in intensity or frequency regardless if it is in gear or between gears or any load on the accelerator or brake and it will eventually stop on its own. Although it lasts anywhere from 2-15 minutes at a time. It also doesn't effect the symptoms if it is just starting up or if it has been running and at operating temp
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Keep in mind, some drive-ability issues like your describing could be hard to determine with out being there.
But this came to my mind which is something I have seen. If after market Cam Sensors were installed, it can cause this. After Market Cam sensors never work right. They can cause this bucking which is a intermittent signal loss. After market sensors can also cause hard starting and stalling with out throwing any codes.
If your fairly handy, get a mirror and a flash light and look at the back side of the cylinder heads and see if you can look at the Cam Sensors. Your looking to see if it has a particular logo on it. The logo would tell you if it's a Factory CAM sensor or not.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM.jpg
That is a picture of the sensor with the logo.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/105565483/Cam%20Sensor%20OEM%20and%20After%20Market.jpg
That is the visual difference between the two so you can try to identify it.
That is one of the first things I would check as it can cause the bucking your experiencing.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!