Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infinity g35: What to i need to remove to replace valve seal

Customer Question

What to i need to remove to replace valve seal on g35 with motor in the car
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Valve seal, do you have the cylinder head off?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No heads still on the car
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Why are you changing the Valve seal? Oil Consumption issue? Changing the valve seal can be very involved and may require the cylinder head.
Let me know..
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Alot blue smoke every time i start the car in the morning. Did at compression test in all cylinders and i have 150 psi
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
ok... First off, you don't just right to Valve Seals. That is allot of work and most of the time that is not the issue.
The first thing you want to change is the PCV valve. This is what allows the crank case to vent. If clogged or not operating it can cause the vehicle to smoke and burn oil. That part is like 20 bucks. So you always want to try the cheap and easiest things first.
The next would be the Valve Cover that has the PCV valve in it. There is a channel through that valve cover that goes to the PCV valve that won't allow the crank case to breath as well. So you always start with the PCV, then Valve cover. If you still have issues and want to do Valve seals after that, it's up to you. But most cases if you still have smoke after those two items is due to oil rings, not valve seals.
If you want me to explain how to do the valve seals, I can, but it's going to require major engine break down. If not done properly could result in requiring the cylinder heads to be removed. It's not a seal you just pop on and off.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I replace pcv valve and valve covers problem still exist .... Now i dont think is the rings but can you tell me how to do the procedure to repllace thoses seals
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Im aware of the major work done i did the valve covers my self so im confident i can do this too
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
You mean pistong rings? Or oil rings
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
I mean the oil rings on the pistons.
To do valve seals, you will need a to most likely remove the cylinder head unless you have the special seal installer that will go over the valve stem. The way you do it is to put the piston up on the compression stroke, and use a cylinder leak down tool to ensure that when you take the valve spring off that the valve won't fall into the cylinder. Cause if it does, it will require the engine to be torn down. Once you have compressed air loading the cylinder of air, you need to use a special valve spring tool to remove the valve spring to expose the valve seal. You would then pop off the valve seal, clean the base, then I use a little white lithium grease on the new seal and with the special tool you can press the seal on to the valve guide while the valve is still in the head. Then you would put the valve spring back on.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Do i have to take the camshaft out? And how to i removed them ... Is my major concern.
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
You know what.. forgot about that part. Yes you do so the front timing cover would need to be removed and all timing chains.
If not, I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!