Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I have a 99 Infiniti qx4. Last night while cruise control was

Customer Question

I have a 99 Infiniti qx4. Last night while cruise control was set at 65 mph it coughed and sputtered. I turned cruise off and slowed down...... after about 10 miles of it coughing and sputtering it lost power and would not gain speed. The rpms only go to about 3 then go right back down even if you hold the pedal to the floor. It ended up dieing and now will not stay idling is just coughs. We have checked fuel pressure (it is at 40psi) checked all relays and fuses Help!!! I love my ride and hate that it will not go!!
Category: Infiniti
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok so we went and bought a new MAS relay still did not fix the issue!
Expert:  Jay replied 1 year ago.
Hello and thank you for your Question.What your description sounds like is a MAF sensor. 90% of the time the MAF ( Mass Air Flow ) sensor heated element which meters the air so the computer can add the proper fuel mixture has fallen out of spec. Not enough to cause a Check Engine light but enough to cause the Air and fuel Mixture to be so off it can cause No Start, Stalling, poor acceleration, won't rev over a certain Rpm, Bogging, and running issues. I would have the Air and Fuel mixture readings checked to verify. Checking the voltage will not show the fault, the air and fuel mixture will. If found to be bad, do not replace with a After Market one. After market MAF sensors never seem to work properly. There heated element doesn't work right which can cause 02 sensors to flat line and have you chasing you tail trying to figure out what is wrong. So the only way to correct this issue if you do have a bad MAF sensor is to replace it with a OEM. If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.If not, and you're satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.Thanks Jay!