Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

I CHANGED THE BATTERY ON MY 2006 M35 AND NOW THERE IS NO POWER

Customer Question

I CHANGED THE BATTERY ON MY 2006 M35 AND NOW THERE IS NO POWER TO THE CLUSTER OR RADIO AND THE REMOTE WONT DO ANYTHING SO I CANT START THE CAR. ALL FUSES ARE GOOD EVEN FUSIBLE LINKS ON POSITIVE CABLE. EVERYTHING ELSE TURNS ON.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Hi, My name is***** happy to help you with your issue. During our conversation, I may be presenting you with different things to try, and ask you some Questions to get a better understand of the issue so I can answer your question properly. So stick with me to the end, and I am sure we should be able to get this issue resolved for you!
Does the head lights turn on if you turn the lights on?
Let me know, and I am sorry for any delay. I just got online and saw your question. I believe I know what your issue is, I would just like to properly identify a few things.
Let me know.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes all lights work. Inside and outside. Horn and seats work as well. Cluster and radio do not turn on. All fuses and fusible links are good.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
That is what I was afraid of. How good are you at electrical?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Not good. But I work with GM techs and they've been helping me. They are all stumped. Is there a sleep mode?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Well this may be something you want to use what we offer called Additional Service. There is where you can speak to me directly and we can talk about your issue.
What your issue is that when you changed the battery or jump started the car the ignition was on. When that happens you get a voltage surge which takes out a number of control units. The only way to really isolate all the damage is to manually power the DCU behind the cluster to bring the ignition ON so you can use a scanner to see what control units need to be replaced.
Most of the time it's the IPDM, DCU, BCM. and sometimes the ECM as well. This may require programming as well. So just giving you the heads up on that.
If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask.
If not, and you're Satisfied with my help, please Rate me. I hope I have provided you with Excellent Service.
Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I FOR SURE DID NOT HAVE THE IGNITION ON WHEN I CHANGED IT. WE HOOKED UP A SCANNER TO IT AND WERE ABLE TO COMMUNICATE WITH THE BCM AND ECM. IS THERE A SLEEP MODE THAT THE CAR CAN GO INTO. COULD THE REMOTES LOST PROGRAMING?
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Allot of times, you can't tell you left the ignition on, cause you go to start it and when it doesn't start, you check the battery but the ignition was actually left on. You just think it was not on cause the car didn't turn on.
You can certainly attempt to to try programming keys. It normally does not loose it's programming.
I have seen the steering lock control unit fail also which can keep the ignition from working also.
Basically, if you can perform steering lock release using the scanner, and it accepts it after you have decoded the 5 digit number on the BCM, the ignition should come on. If steering lock release can not be completed, then you may need to replace that steering lock control unit. But you need to power up the DCU which will power up the car to properly do the checks on all the control units
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
THE ONLY THING I HAVE NOT CHECKED IS THE STEERING UNIT. ALL OTHER MODULES ARE GOOD. WHEN I CHANGED THE BATTERY ALL I DID WAS UNLOCK THE CAR OPEN THE DOOR AN POP THE HOOD. THE CAR WAS NEVER ON OR JUMPED THAT DAY.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Then you will need to check the steering lock control unit.When you hook up the battery it could have cause a voltage surge if not hooked up in the proper sequence. Positive first, negative last when hooked up. Removing is Negative first, Positive last. There is no way you could know if any control units are damaged or not communicating properly until you get the ignition to come on. That is why you manually apply power to two wires at the DCU. Thanks Jay!