Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

I have a question regarding 2012 infiniti qx56. The vehicle

I have a question regarding 2012 infiniti qx56. The vehicle has a flood damage,it was in run and drive condition. After it was on a lot for a month, now there is no power coming from battery to the dash board (tried to jump start it). What could possibly gone wrong and what should be done for the first place to diagnose the problem.

Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 8 months ago.

Jay :

Hello my name is XXXXX XXXXX XXXXX you for your question.

Jay :

I am going to be honest with you.

Jay :

When it comes to Flood Cars, there is nothing that anyone can say would be a common thing to cause your condition

Jay :

With most flood cars you may not experience any electrical issues till a year down the road.

Jay :

That is when all the harness connectors would have enough corrosion to cause high resistance and cause electrical issues, or even cause wires to break.

Jay :

So with any issue with a Flood car, and especially if it's a salt water flood car it will require hands on diagnostics.

Jay :

I know this may not be the answer you want to hear

Jay :

But I can only cover some basics with you here, other wise it would require hands on.

Jay :

How handy are you?

Customer:

Yes, that I know, I am a dealer, that isn't new. My question is:

Jay :

Then lets start from the beginning with some basics so I can get a understanding with what exactly the truck is doing now.

Jay :

If you open the truck door, does the dome light come on?

Jay :

If you simply turn the head lights on with out touching the start button do they come on?

Customer:

It was running, after a month no power coming from battery to dashboard. The question is what could possibly gone wrong? Computer? Fuse box? Which harness connectors might have caused no communication? What is the first thing to look for?

Jay :

Does the remote work? Does it unlock and lock the car?

Customer:

no power comes to the dashboard. I am sending the vehicle for export, it was for a month at shipping facility and I was told they cannot jumpstart it and no power comes to dashboard when they tried to use the jumpstart. My overseas costumer asked me what possibly could go wrong? computer, fuse box or which other harness connectors? I am not at the vehicle, I just need an idea, what the technician would do and what is the estimate of what might have happened (without looking at the car)?

Jay :

First thing I would see is if anything is getting power?

Jay :

Cause maybe the fusible link popped

Customer:

no power to anything

Jay :

Other wise, if the remote doesn't work, yet the dome light comes on, maybe the remote battery is dead

Jay :

That could be a fusible link

Jay :

That is like the main fuse of the truck

Jay :

That is off the positive battery termina

Jay :

terminal

Jay :

If that is blown, then there will be no power through out the truck

Jay :

If it's the remote battery that is dead, try hold it up to the start button and see if it will start..

Jay :

This is a link to a image on what the fusible link looks like

Customer:

In other words, if flood vehicle was running and stopped running there might be that the computer and fuse connectors are no longer good, right?

Jay :

If you look at it, it does not look blown.

Jay :

But if you remove it to check it.

Jay :

you can then see it looks blown.

Jay :

Now flood cars can develop electrical shorts which can cause a draw on the battery.

Jay :

But when you provide power to the battery, you should see some sort of sign of power in the truck.

Jay :

Such as head light operation, or dome light comes on when you open the door

Jay :

If your not seeing any type of electrical life when you apply power to the battery

Jay :

Then I would look at this fusible link

Jay :

I would only think it could be a computer problem if you had power to the truck but it did not start.

Jay :

If your not seeing any sign of power, then I would check this fusible link like I am suggesting.

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX computer if fuse box connectors be at fault also? I mean that is it possible that they were good 40 days ago but got because of corossion stopped working?

Customer:

computer or fuse box, that what i meantstake.

Customer:

i mistyped it

Jay :

Anything is possible with a flood car

Jay :

You need to start with the basics

Jay :

Start with checking the fusible links

Customer:

within a month it is possible it stopped working, right?

Jay :

and seeing if the battery has a good charge also.

Customer:

i am not repairing it, just need to know

Jay :

I am trying to explain where you need to start

Jay :

Under the hood on the passenger side

Jay :

That is where the battery is located

Jay :

Check the fusible link

Jay :

If that is good

Jay :

Then make sure the battery has good voltage

Jay :

Then you will need to check the IPDM which is like a fuse box by the battery and check to see if that is getting power

Jay :

More or less you want to see where the power starts, and where it's stopping.

Customer:

Sorry, once again, Iam not trying to repair it. The question is - is it possible that within a month the progress of corrosion resulted in total failure of fusible link, computer and fuse box connectors?

Jay :

Yes it is

Jay :

Was it a Salt Water flood car?

Customer:

yes

Jay :

Absolutely then!

Jay :

You can get corrosion build up in a week

Customer:

and so during a month, regardless that it was in run and drive condition, the new problems might have developed - that is the answer, right?

Jay :

on a salt water car

Jay :

Yes sir

Jay :

That is correct

Customer:

Thank you very much!

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer