Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.

Infiniti M35X: I have a M35X 2007. when I start the car the

I have a M35X 2007. when I start the car the dashboard/speedometer light is very bright. After a short time the speedometer lights go dim. Then after 10-20 min, they get bright again, then dim. This happens during bright daylight or cloudy days. I have the headlights set to Auto. Any idea what is causing this?
Hello and thank you for your question today!
Are the headlights coming on when the dash lights are going from bright to dim?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

If it is raining or dark out, the headlights come on. It if is a bright sunny day, i do not know if they come on, but the speedometer light dims even in very bright sun.

Ok, my thought is there is an issue with the light sensor up on the dash. What we need to know is if the lights are actually coming on when this happens. If they are then it's likely the light sensor that is causing the problem. If it's just the dash lights, then the issue would more likely be with the instrument panel.
So, check and see if the reason for the dimming is because the headlights are coming on.
Let me know.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I will check to see if the lights are coming on when the speedometer lights dim. i will let you know shortly.

Ok, sounds good Cindy, thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi - yes lights are coming on when dash light dim. So you think it is the light sensor on the dash. Can you tell exactly where this sensor is and what the part number is XXXXX i can put a new one in.

Yes, I do think it's the sensor.
This is on the dash, if you look on the passenger side of the defrost vent, you will see the small circular part, this is the sensor. To replace you have to pop the vent out and then remove the sensor.
Here is the part # XXXXX alldata, it's suppose to be the original part number.
Please be sure to let me know if you need further assistance, if not, please be sure to rate my answer. If you got here on the free trial, your card will not be charged.
Thank you.