VirtualWrench (L J)
VirtualWrench (L J), Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  35 years Master Mechanic
2617050

Infiniti J30: need to know what it takes to change timing belt?

Customer Question

need to know what it takes to change timing belt? what need to come off
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  VirtualWrench (L J) replied 1 year ago.
Welcome,

This is a very involved repair and does require some special tools. I can give you the instructions if you want.

Have you ever done a job like this before?

Did the belt break?

.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no it didn't break but I have a metallic sound on the pass side of vehicle . Thought the belt might have stretched and maybe valve lash noise or I have a rod problem

Thanks,

Well, if it has over 60K miles on it, then it needs replaced regardless just for preventive maintenance before it breaks and ruins the valves. Its also possible for the noise to be from belt slap. If you click here you will get all the instructions you can eat :-)

You might want to check the fan belt tensioner and idler pulley if it has one because they make the same kind of noise.

Best wishes my friend!

LJ
VirtualWrench (L J), Infiniti Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

LJ I am working on this car for a friend and it will take me a little while to get this done so if you work with me it would be appreciated.so with that said I think it has a knock in the can on the passenger side so I don't know what is in their so if you could help? Need to know what has to come off to get their.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok, here's what I have. The motor runs, and it has a metallic knock in it. After using the stethoscope, I concluded it's in the valve train on the passenger side of the vehicle. There is a little black box in the middle of the valve train, that when I put the stethoscope on it, it is really noisy. Load metallic tic, which I suspect has to do with the cam on that side, and not rods or main bearings. So, I don't know what is under that black box to look for. If you could help, it would be greatly appreciated. Have checked the timing belt and that looks good. So I don't know where that leaves us. Thanks, Rick

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok down to pulling motor as the timing belt looked ok. so can you help ? I am going to pull the motor from the top so do I need to take trans to ?

Let me get you some instructions. Be right back
Hi Rick,

They both have to come out and you have to remove the trans first. Click here for instructions.

Please remember to rate my assistance today and just let me know if you have any further questions. If not, thanks for asking!

LJ
VirtualWrench (L J), Infiniti Mechanic
Experience: 35 years Master Mechanic
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

thanks I will give it a try and I will take care of feed back soon. I don't see how to get to the torque converter bolts. I have everything else unhooked. can you help with that?

Hi Rick sorry i missed you yesterday,

If i remember right, you have to remove the starter and the drive plate then access the bolts from there...