George H.
George H., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master Tech 15+ years

Inifinity QX4: My car is in the shop and they just called to

My car is in the shop and they just called to say not only my breaks need work but both axels need to be replaced.

Hello I will help you with your question,

It is certainly possible that once they got the wheels off they found the boots on the axles torn and leaking grease which would call for replacement. Have you had your vehicle inspected lately?

Please let me know how I can help you with this

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

My husband took it in to have the oil changed and they said everything was fine. But I don't know if I believe him that he had the brakes checked.

The shop inspected the brakes and they are good but they say the axles need replacement?

Is it your husband or the shop that you doubt?

Please let me know as much as you can so I can help you

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The Jiffy Lube inspection was a month ago. I have the car at Big O shop right now. They want close to $800 for breaks and repairing two axels. I had them call my husband and he said just have the brakes done now.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't believe my husband, because he is thrifty. I am also easily swayed by salesmen who may want to sell something that is unnecessary.

I took my car to the Big O Tire shop to replace my brakes. They called to give me an estimate on my breaks and found that both axels are torn and need replacing. The cost will be $758. I had them call and talk to my husband. He said to do just the brakes and to not replace the axels."Not necessary now." was his response to be. (He doesn't trust mechanics).

If the axles are not noisy in tight turns you can put them off for a while. My suggestion is to find an independent certified shop that you can have do all your work and build a trusting relationship. If you need a suggestion for a shop in your area please post your zipcode but the chain stores are not the place to find good competent service.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Click here for Japan Auto Care

Click here for Bryans Auto Center

Either of those shops will be able to do all the service required for your vehicle and you can be sure they will not try to sell you what you do not need. If you ever have any doubt about what is being recommended ask to be shown the failed part and why it is failed. Any honest shop will be happy to show and explain exactly what is needed and why it is needed.

Please let me know how I can help

Thank you