Mike Kelly
Mike Kelly, Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  17 years experience as an auto mechanic, foreign and domestic. 5 years running my own repair business.

Infiniti G35: My 2003 Infinit G35 Sedan just completely shut

My 2003 Infinit G35 Sedan just completely shut off while I was driving.When I restarted it, the check engine light came on. I took it to AutoZone to get the code read. It came back P0345 CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR. There are 2 on this car. One for intake, and one for exhaust. They couldn't tell me which one. I just bought both because they were cheaper than having Infiniti or Nissan put them on their machines. How can I get an engine diagram of where these sensors are? How much should this run me? How difficult are they to replace?

Hi,how are you?The camshaft position sensors are located on the back side of the engine on the firewall side mounted in each cylinder head.The p0345 is the code for the exhaust camshaft sensor and this is mounted in the drivers side head and held on by one 10mm bolt and a wiring connector.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok great! I have received this information. I also requested "high" level of detail for this and also asked about pricing and the level of difficulty this project might be. Please review the original question to ensure all aspects of the question were answered.

Ok the level of difficulty is a 4 out of 10,this is not a hard job as the sensors are held in by one 10mm bolt.This job just takes patience as the sensors being on the back of the heads are in a tight spot,the electrical connectors have a safety plastic tab that pulls out with a pair of needle noise pliers.As for the pricing,i'm not clear on what you mean since you are inquiring on doing the job yourself and you have already purchased the parts.The dealer is going to charge 2 hours labor per sensor the labor rate will depend on the dealer in question.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

One last question. What would I use to remove the bolt? Should it take 2 hours to complete? Someone was going to do this for me and said the would have to take heads off.

Since you have never done this job,use these steps and it will make it easier.

Bank 2 sensor Driver side:

1) Remove the air intake tube from the air filter housing all the way up to the throttle body.

2) Remove the the throttle body electrical connector.

3) Remove the throttle body . It's held in place by 4 hex bolts. Remove all 4 bolts and the throttle body will come right off. Just below it is the casen.

4) Remove the PCV hose (Large black hose which connects from the manifold to the air intake tube).

5) Unclip connector from sensor.

6) Remove 10mm bolt from sensor and pull. The sensor may be difficult to remove from it's orifice. The O-ring that seals it my be making it difficult to remove. Just keep pulling and it will come out.

Re-installation: Install all parts in reverse order as above.

Bank 1 sensor Passenger side:

This sensor can be removed without removing any parts.

1) Unclip connector from sensor.

2) Reach back with a 3/8" drive socket wrench with a 3" extension and a standard (as opposed to deep) 10mm socket. Unbolt the sensor and replace.

Replace sensor in reverse order of removal

3/8" drive socket wrench with a 3" extension and a standard (as opposed to deep) 10mm socket

Don't forget to rate the answer for me.Here is a procedure if you do not have a scan tool to reset the ecu to turn the light off.

Basic ECU Reset

1. Confirm that accelerator pedal is fully released, turn ignition switch "ON" (NOT start) and wait 3 seconds.

2. Repeat the following steps (2a and 2b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.

2a. Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD).
2b. Fully release the accelerator pedal.

3. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 10 seconds until the CEL starts blinking.

4. Fully release the accelerator pedal (while the CEL is still blinking)

5. Wait about 10 seconds.

6. Fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for more than 10 seconds.

7. Fully release the accelerator pedal (The CEL light will continue to blink).

8. Turn ignition switch to "OFF" position and now you can start the car. The CEL light should be gone. If the CEL light continues to remain ON, repeat the above steps. Remember, timing is EXTREMELY critical to resetting the ECU.

One last thing here is how the sensors look on the engine.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you! Excellent Service!

No problem,thank you.