Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

200 Infiniti Qx4: instructions for replacing the radiator

Customer Question

Do you have instructions for replacing the radiator on a 200 Infiniti Qx4? Thank you very much in advance.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Replacing these radiators are not that bad.

Jay :

First thing you do is remove the lower engine cover so you can access the drain plug on the radiator.

Jay :

Before you crack the drain plug how ever, on the fan shroud there is a lower cover that gets removed. There is a pinch tab on the right and on the left. Pinch the tabs and remove that lower part of the fan shroud. Then remove trans cooler hoses from the radiator ( I pinch off the hoses so they don't leak all over the place ).

Jay :

Then drain the coolant.

Jay :

After you have it drained

Jay :

remove the upper and lower radiator hose from the radiator

Jay :

Then remove the top radiator support brackets which are secured by 10mm nuts

Jay :

Once you have that all done.

Jay :

The radiator just lifts straight up to be removed

Jay :

Then you just transfer the shroud to the new radiator if your replacing it.

Jay :

install in reverse order.

Jay :

After your done, you will need to bleed the coolant system

Jay :

This can be fairly tricky if your not familiar with Nissan coolant systems

Jay :

First you need a Coolant bucket.

Jay :

After you filled the system, then carefully remove the bleeder screw on the top of the plenum. When I say carefully, there is a small copper washer you can loose so you don't want to drop that or loose it. Here is a image of the bleeder screw location. It's a 10 mm bolt

Full Size Image

Jay :

You want to keep the bleeder open till you get a steady flow of coolant, then plug it up.

Jay :

Then this is how you finish off bleeding the coolant system

Jay :

To bleed the coolant system, remove the radiator cap. Install the coolant bucket. Fill the bucket about 1/2 way. Then raise the front of the car as high as if it were on ramps. This way if there is air in the coolant system, the circulation brings it to the highest point. Then turn on the car, and put the heat on speed number 4, recirc mode on, and face mode. You may need to rev the engine to move the coolant around to get the air out. After you have good heat, and little to no bubbles in the coolant bucket. Then the coolant system is properly bleed. You should have good heat when bleed properly. So when you put your hand over the vent and hold it there for 30 seconds, you get a slight burning sensation. That is perfect heat.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer: Thanks very much. I'm going to do it tomorrow morning since I ran out of time today....About the cooling bucket, would an auto parts store have one of these? I'never seen one before.Thanks again.
Jay :

They may. If you can't get one you can make a home made one. Just find a bottle that you can cut to fit into the top of the radiator so you have a snug fit. You will just need to pinch off the over flow bottle hose. See image as example

Full Size Image

Customer:
Customer:

Thanks very much. Great instructions. The only step I screwed up on was not pinching off the transmission cooling lines. I guess I need to ask another question about filling the transmission with fluid after I replace the lines. What a dummy....

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Jay. I'm just replying to your email asking for a rating.I did rate you informative and helpful. Your instructions were just the thing I need to get it done. Thanks veyr much again.
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.
Your welcome and glad my directions worked for you.

Thanks Jay!