Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

neutral..ac..my throttle body and the iac that needs to be cleaned

My car vibrates while in gear, both drive and reverse, and it completely stops while in neutral and park and when AC is on while driving. I have been told is my throttle body and the IAC that needs to be cleaned and adjusted?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay : Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com
Jay : It only vibrated when stopped? No check engine light?
Jay : Is this a I30
Jay : ?
Customer:

yes only when I am stop and foot on brake. no check engine light yes I30

Jay :

I would agree, the first thing I would do is clean the throttle chamber and adjust base idle

Jay :

How handy are you?

Jay :

I can tell you what you need to do to try to do this if you like?

Jay :

Let me know, Thanks Jay!

Customer:

I actually have the steps already to clean it...but I am not sure about adjusting the base idle. I think I am handy enough to do it...I am just nervous of messing up something with the throttle cable. As it seems delicate/easily to become loose. But thats about it....thanks!

Jay :

You don't need to touch the throttle cables

Jay :

Tell you what,

Jay :

Just clean the throttle chamber

Jay :

and get it running again, and then return and I will tell you how to adjust base idle

Customer:

okay but I don't want to be cleaning twice as far as going back and forth with cleaning them or basically will it involve that? Taking something apart in order to adjust and clean the IACV?

Jay :

Your only cleaning the throttle chamber

Jay :

So all you want is a can of carb cleaner, a old tooth brush and some rags

Jay :

Remove the intake boot to access the throttle plate

Jay :

Pull the throttle open so the butterfly is open, and spray and scrub the throttle chamber

Jay :

Top and bottom

Jay :

Then spray and whip clean with a rag

Jay :

Then put it back together

Jay :

It will be a little hard to start after you do this, but lets see how it runs after you do that.

Jay :

Then if we need to adjust base idle we can do that

Customer:

I already did this...the car is running ok, just vibrating, but before it was causing the car to stall. Idle go all the way up and I needed to give it gas for it to start. You help me with this. Now I am going to remove the throttle this time, becuase it must be really dirt and causing the IACV to be messed up also

Jay :

Wait

Jay :

you cleaned the throttle chamber already?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

you helped me with this, and the car ran much better after

Jay :

Ok

Jay :

Then we are at a different point now

Customer:

but then I started to get this vibration after some other changes and maybe a 1000 miles later

Jay :

Lets work on adjusting base idle now

Jay :

and see if that helps

Jay :

Do you know where the idle adjustment screw is?

Customer:

no I do not. But to be honest I am thinking of taking the entire thing apart becuase I didnt clean i t good enough.

Jay :

lol

Jay :

You don't need to remove the throttle chamber

Jay :

You just need to take your time with carb cleaner and tooth brush to scrub the throttle chamber clean.

Jay :

Let me get you a image of the Idle adjustment screw. Give me a min please

Customer:

ok. I just couldnt get to the back thats why I am saying I need to take it off....plus holding the throttle open while doing it only gave me one hand to get in there.

Jay :

Yeah, it's a bit of a pain, almost have a image for you, 1 more min

Jay :

Lets get in there and clean the throttle chamber again

Jay :

Then when your done

Jay :

Unplug the bottom connector of the TPS

Jay :

and turn this screw to adjust base idle

Jay :

Then when set, plug the TPS back in

Jay :

and lets see how it is

Customer:

okay what do you adjust the screw with? and which way do I turn it? DO I turn it till its tight?

Jay :

You turn it with a philps head screw driver

Jay :

You don't turn it to tighten and you don't need to turn it all the way out so it falls out

Jay :

You only need to turn it once or twice

Jay :

You want to turn it counter clockwise to raise idle, and clock wise to lower it

Customer:

okay. But what if I could get my whole intake system cleaned including throtttle IAV etc. Do you recommend this in this situation or in general. You seem to be not encouraging me to take the whole TB plate off, but I seen alot of people saying to get the best results that what you need to do.

Customer:

Also which of those in the picture is the TPS? the brown or gray one?

Jay :

Hold on 1 sec please

Customer:

ok

Jay :

You want to unplug the gray one. I don't like to recommend people to take the whole throttle chamber off, cause if I recommend it and something goes wrong, I don't like being blamed if you know what I mean.

Jay :

I don't even normally remove it to clean it

Customer:

okay understand.

Customer:

Thanks Again!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer