Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

Infiniti G35 X: I am in a 2008 Infiniti G35X and it wont start.

I am in a 2008 Infiniti G35X and it won't start. The interior lights and brakes flicker as if it is sending me a code. How do I start it? It won't turn over and I have it hooked up via jumper cables.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

Good evening.

Jay :

If the interior lights are flickering and your getting a fast clicking sound, double check your jumper cable connections. It sounds like a weak battery, and you may not have a good connection on the cables

Jay :

Good evening

Customer:

Already checked connection. Also disconnected cables to reset any code issues. Had car hooked to my Tundra for 45 minutes. No clicking and the interior lights fast flash as if there is a code issue.

Customer:

Brake lights also flash quickly

Jay :

That all sounds like a weak battery

Jay :

I know you have been trying to jump it.

Jay :

All of that are signs of that.

Customer:

Why would my battery not start it?

Customer:

The connection is good.

Jay :

Could have a bad cell

Jay :

That may also keep it from being able to be jumped as well

Jay :

When ever the lights flicker, and you get that fast clicking, it's the battery.

Customer:

It's not even clicking while I'm revving my motor. Everything indicates bad battery except lights flashing.

Customer:

The lights are flashing as if there is some code going off.

Jay :

Do you have remote start in the car or something?

Customer:

No.

Jay :

The head lights are not flashing are they? the parking lights are flashing?

Customer:

Interior lights and brake lights No headlights.

Jay :

That is a sign of some sort of after market alarm.

Jay :

Are you the original owner?

Customer:

It would make sense that the parking lights would be flashing and they are not.

Customer:

She is the original owner.

Customer:

No remote start nor after market alarm.

Jay :

There is no other way for those lights to really be flashing.

Customer:

Infiniti doesn't use codes in this manner?

Jay :

the IPDM controls exterior lighting ( Brake lights ) and the BCM controls interior lighting. The only way I can see those lights flashing on and off is if there is some sort of after market alarm.

Jay :

no, it won't flash the lights like your describing to tell you there is a code

Jay :

How many miles on the car?

Customer:

ok 42250 miles

Jay :

Your bumper to bumper warranty may still be good.

Jay :

If you would like to have the dealer check it for you.

Jay :

Most after market alarms if disabled, if the battery goes dead can activate it, which is what I am thinking. It may have had something installed, and you never knew it

Customer:

she says no alarm was ever added

Jay :

There is no other way for the brake lights to flash. If they flicker when trying to start, then that is a battery issue. But if they are flashing on and off, the factory wiring and alarm system can not do that.

Customer:

they were rapidly blinking when no one was even in the car that flickering has now stopped and the interior lights and head light came on bright but still no turn over

Jay :

If you press the start button and not step on the brake does all the steering lock release and all the warning lights come on in the dash?

Customer:

which fuse controls the starter and is it in the engine bay or interior

Customer:

checking

Customer:

no

Jay :

None of the dash warning lights come on if you press the start button to the ON position?

Customer:

no

Jay :

Try taking the whole remote and insert it in the fob slot to the left of the steering wheel by where your left knee would be, and then try

Jay :

Also let me know if the steering wheel is locked and releasess

Jay :

I am starting to think maybe the main fusible link popped. That is why your not getting any power to the dash that would indicate it to start.

Customer:

did that did not release

Customer:

how do we check that fuse

Jay :

It's on the positive battery terminal. See image of it's location. You will need a flash light to check it, or pop the clear cover off to get a better look at it.

Full Size Image

Customer:

The link appears broken. Will it be connected like a regular fuse?

Customer:

You're earning your $$$

Jay :

yeah

Jay :

That would explain it all. You need to replace that main fusible link.

Jay :

Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. If your satisfied with my help, don't forget to press the ACCEPT button. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer