Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti i30: I am trying to replace my serpentine belt on

I am trying to replace my serpentine belt on my 1997 infiniti i30. It broke off. I get the idea that the tensioner pully has to be cranked "up" somehow to get the belt on, but I can't figure out how to do that. I screw the center tensioning bolt (the bolt holding the tensioner on) clockwise and counterclockwise, but it appears to only tighten or loosen holding the tensioner pully on the car, it doesn't move the tensioner at all. I thought I had to crank on it clockwise, but this doesn't move it at all. There is a funny little mechanism coming out of the top of the tensioner plate and it appears to be around the bolt holding the tensioner pully to the car. This moves, and it seems like if I move tighten it (clockwise) it ought to be pulling the tensioner pully up, and relieving tension, but I have moved it quite a bit and it seems to do nothing, and then it gets hard to turn, and I am afraid I am going to crank it too hard and break something. Any help?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

sure

Jay :

Here is how the tensioners work and the belt layout for you

Customer:

clockwise on the adjuster when the center bolt is loose?

Jay :

On the main belt, you need to crack the 14 mm nut loose on the center of the pulley. Just loose, and then you can turn the adjuster to loosen or tighten the belt

Customer:

to pull it up?

Jay :

Clock wise for the alternator belt

Jay :

On the power steering it's reversed

Jay :

Clock wise loosens the belt, while counter clock wise tightens

Jay :

You may want to spray some WD40 on the threads of the adjuster, on some cars with age, that adjuster could build up some rust and be hard to turn. In some cases it can also break.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

ok works thx