Ryan
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!
30412839

Infiniti QX4: My Eccs2 fuse keeps blowing. what is all controlled

My Eccs2 fuse keeps blowing. what is all controlled by that fuse
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.com I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

Hi I have seen this fuse blow before. It is usually because your idle air control valve is shorted. Unfortunately this also will damage the ECM. Try unplugging the IACV under the throttle body. It is a gray connector that plugs into a round black part. Unplug it and see if the fuse will hold.

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
let me provide you with the whoel scenario. We wee making a left turn when all of a sudden the engine died on us without any pre symptoms. We tryed restarting sevral times and it was dead. We waited about 15 minutes and the care turned over long enough to get us to the side of the road at wich pint e started seeing smoke coming from the dashbaord steering column area. Do you still feel it could be that same issue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
I will give you some possible senarios. But it does from the sound of it seem likely that your computer is fryed.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I know its hard to say without seeing the car but is replacing those two parts normally sufficient. I don't want to get deep in to this thing and find out I have burned wires everywhere and I will have to have car completely re wired. What could cause computer to fry. Can poor ignition switch? Is it possible that only computer bad and not the iacv or vice versa?
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok the smoke you saw was it coming from the steering column or down lower. The ECM is mounted under the dash just above the gas pedal. Take a look up there and see if you can spot it. Look to see if anything looks burnt also see if the burnt smell is strogest from the ECM.graphic

Is this the fuse that is blowing?graphic
graphic
Do this check of the IAVC first. Listen to the valve and see if it is makin any sound.
graphic

Give these things a try be for we condemn the IACV and ECM.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok that is exactly the fuse i am referring to thts why I was wodnering all the parts that are connectedin line wit that fuse. I think the smoke generates beneath the steering column. I will be at trhe vehicle shortly to check these things out.. Are those the only two cuplrits that could be causin this? I have never experienced this. Ok so I do not need to remove the steerin column and dash to access the ECM?
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
No you do not have to pull the dash to get to the ECM. I took a look at the wiring diagram. There are 3 systems involved with this fuse.graphicgraphic
graphic
I would start by unplugging the ECM relay and see if the short goes away.
graphic
If it does then you will need to look further. Start unplugging the ECM, then the IACV, and then each ignition coil. Take note of which component if any makes the short go away. A trick I use for this is I wire a directional flasher in place of the fuse. If the short is there it will click on and off protecting the wires. When the short goes away It will stop ticking.
graphic
Let me know what you find.

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
If the short goes away when I unplug the ECM relay, I do need to look further? I thought that would identify that as being the problem. If unplugging it does not make the short go away then what would be the identified problem?
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Yes If you unplug this and the short is still there then you have narrowed your search to the circuit before the relay . The problem has to be between the fuse and the ECM relay. This will be a wiring issue and may mean you have wires pinched or melted together. That may be the melted wires may be the result of an other short somewhere further in the system. Start by fixing this problem first.
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience: Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!