Ryan
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!
30412839

Infiniti G20: Infinity G20 99 transmission does not shift

Customer Question

Infinity G20 '99 transmission does not shift from 1-2 or 2-3 gear until 3200 RPM & shifts very hard, fluid is clean & full. It has 216,000 miles and problem started this morning just as I pulled out of driveway and put it in D it shifted hard and jerked the car and then each gear changed just as hard at a much higher RPM.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.com I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

Well this could be as simple as a weak battery. Is your check engine light on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes check engine light is on.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Do you know what diagnostic trouble code or codes you have? You can have them scanned for free at any AutoZone. Get me the codes and I can assist you further.

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
1) P0105 manifold absolute pressure/baro circuit
2) P0304 cylinder 4 misfire detected
3) P0450 evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch
4) P0510 closed throttle position switch
5) P1705 TP Sensor A/T
6) P1447 evap purse flow/mon
7) P0450 evaporative emission system pressure sensor/switch
8) P0105 manifold absolute pressure/baro circuit
9) P1705 TP Sensor A/T
Also, twice on days prior the engine stalled upon take off from a stop light.
Thank you for your patience it took a couple of days to use my daughters OBD2 tool
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Wow that is a lot of codes. I will need to research and think about how they are related and causing your issue. I will post a response later today

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Ryan, Are you still researching or are you leaning toward more than one problem. I found a vacuum line broken off at the air tube between the the air filter and the air intake/choke plate. I still have not repaired line or started the engine.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Still researching I had a feeling this is more then one problem. How long has the light been on?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Light has been on for at least 3 months.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Okay that's plenty of time for other problems to arise. Did this light come on when this problem first occurred?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
No this transmission problem problem (late to shift) is what caused me to park it and contact you for assistance.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Alright I will have A few things for you to check How handy are you with cars?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am very handy with cars, I already replaced the front and rear seals on this car.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok I am curious as to what codes are stored in the transmission system. Do you have access to a scan tool?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have access to a OBD2 Tool
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
We need one that can do more then pull engine codes. I think your shifting problem has something to do with your throttle position sensor. I would like to know what failure code is in the transmission system. Have you noticed if the OD light flashes just after start up?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes, it stared flashing the day before the problem started.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok so there is a failure code set. I will find the manual procedure to pull flash codes. I will post it tomorrow.

Good night

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok, thank you for your patience and diligence.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
your welcome im still working on it
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
I found the procedure it is not commonly done anymore. Give this a try and let me know what flash codes you find.
graphic
Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just as you previously thought, the third judgement flicker was longer, "go to throttle position sensor"
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok great! I may have your answer I was looking at the wiring diagram and found a common link for most of these codes. Please check the 10 Amp fuse #7 in the fuse box in the car. I think you will find it blown. Try replacing the fuse and see if it will hold. If it blows right away let me know. Here is the location.
graphic
graphic

graphic

graphic

Ryan
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Fuse # XXXXX is not blown
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
Ok it was worth a try. I will work on a procedure to check the TPS and related failures.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Ok
Expert:  replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for you patients
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience: Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hey Ryan,
I went and bought a throttle position sensor and after I replaced it ALL IS SHIFTING CORRECTLY!
Thank you very much for all of your help and I am extremely pleased with your diligence and help.
Expert:  Ryan replied 2 years ago.
That's great! I'm glad the TPS fixed the issue.

Ryan