Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

2001 QX4: coolant system..It was diagnosed as a by-pass hose leak

I have a 2001 QX4. Recently a leak developed on the coolant system. It was diagnosed as a by-pass hose leak. It was explained that the intake would have to be removed. This repair took 5 hours and set me back 800.00. Can you confirm that this price was reasonable?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

This is the coolant pipe behind the engine if I am not mistaken,

Jay :

If it's the bypass pipe that is leaking coolant on the back of the engine, it's a pain of a job and 5 hours labor is the going rate

Jay :

Cause the only way to get to it is to remove the plenum to access it to replace the gaskets

Customer: What is the labor cost? Is it common to see coolant days after work is done? Is it common for coolant to be left in voids on engine?
Jay :

Some residual may be normal, but if it's more than a day or 2 and you still see it, then I would return to have it rechecked

Jay :

As far as labor costs,

Jay :

That varies through out the country

Jay :

There is no set labor rate. It's what ever your dealers labor rate is.

Jay :

Our shop is 125 and hour

Customer: Thanks for labor rate info. I had the work done at Firestone. I will keep an eye open for leaks. What kind of guarantee time frame is there on this type of work?
Customer: Information very helpful. Thanks for your time.
Jay :

I don't know Firestones warranty

Jay :

I would give them a call and inquire

Jay :

The dealer is 1 year or 12k miles

Jay :

Your welcome, and thank you for using just answer.com

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer