Tom, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Certified Master Technician

2002 I35: with 120k miles on the car..downshift..shift down..stopping

I have a 2002 I35 with 120k miles on the car. The transmission seems to do a downshift after the car has been stopped [stop sign or red light] after about 5 seconds or so after you stop you feel this shift. You can feel it shift down I guess and it happens after I have been stopped....not during the stopping which I know is normal. I am not sure what steps to take. If I take it to a shop I am sure they want me to spend a lot of money to repair. Is this something changing the fluid and filter will take care of or do I need to have something else done to the transmission?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
When was the last transmission service done?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Not sure of the date, but all service has been done by the dealership. I know transmission filter & fluid are due at 120k. So all of the required service was done to the car.
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Ok at this point I would have the transmission fluke changed again and filter replaced . While there removing the filter have them check the solenoid pack and harness these are known to get damaged and cause these issues . This would be the next step. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Are these expensive to repair/replace?
Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Not horrible expansive parts and labor 400 to 500 depending on shops. Hoped this helped. Positive feedback and bonuses greatly appreciated.
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Hello....I replaced the solenoid pack on the transmission along with fluid and filter change. I am not sure this corrected the problem. It is still doing this but not like it was before. I may be wrong in thinking it was the transmission.....not sure. It does shift more smoothly and it seems the brakes work like new again..[I am not even sure what all this solenoid pack part controled]....Could this have something to do with the engine firing? The car did have the complete tuneup at what was recommended time frame. Is it due for another tuneup at 120K? Would a code show up on the computer on the car also?

Expert:  Tom replied 4 years ago.
Yes its due for the 120,000 mile service which includes the tune up.