Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Remove and replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1999 Infiniti G20

how do you remove and replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1999 Infiniti G20
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

After you have removed the steering column cover, unplug the electrical part of the ignition switch.

Jay :

Then you will need a punch and hammer to tap the tamper proof bolts counter clock wise, so you can remove the ignition cylinder.

Jay :

I normally take the punch, and put a nice dent in the tamper proof bolt, then I tap it on where I made the dent, and tap it counter clock wise to loosen it.

Customer:

are the tamper proof bolts the two on top the the assembly

Customer:

holding it on the steering column

Jay :

They are right on top yes

Jay :

They have a break away head to it.

Customer:

is there a way to remove the key cylinder without taking the whole assembly off

Jay :

Not really. You need to remove the ignition in order to take the key cylinder apart

Customer:

once I have removed the ignition is it possible to to replace the key cylinder or is it better to just change the whole thing

Jay :

What is the problem with the ignition that you are trying to remove it?

Customer:

my daughter put the wrong key in and now the right key is not working very easily you need to jiggle it to get it to move and I am concerned it may not last very long

Jay :

It sounds like maybe one of the tumblers in the ignition my have been damaged.

Customer:

it feels like the tumblers have been damaged

Jay :

What I would do, is remove the lock cylinder and bring it to a lock smith to have the tumblers checked and repaired. It's cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Jay :

But you will need to replace the tamper proof break away bolts after you removed them to get the ignition cylinder out.

Customer:

so I am back to taking out the two snap off bolts

Jay :

yeah

Jay :

I would use a flat ended punch to knick the side of the bolt so you can tap it counter clock wise

Customer:

so what are the two small brass pins in the side of the key cylinder for ?

Customer:

In my old

Customer:

In my old Ford I was able to use them to get the cylinder out

Jay :

Those pins are to release the cylinder, but the cap needs to be broken off and replaced when you take this cylinder a part.

Jay :

That cap around the cylinder where the key goes in, that is the cap I am talking about. That is broken off, and replaced.

Jay :

When the ignition cylinder is re-keyed

Customer:

dose Infiniti sell new cylinders or is it a job for a locksmith

Customer:

can you break off the cap and get the cylinder out without taking the whole assembly out ?

Jay :

Lock smiths have these caps in stock. The dealer does not sell the internal parts of the ignition cylinder.

Customer:

so unless I find a locksmith that dose house calls I still need to spin out the tamper proof bolts

Jay :

There is such a thing called a mobile lock smith.

Jay :

If your having problems getting the ignition off to take it to a lock smith, you may be able to find one to come to you and do this repair for you.

Customer:

last question If it was your car what would you do ?

Jay :

I would pop the ignition off and have a lock smith repair it. But I am more familiar with removing these assemblies to do that.

Jay :

If you don't feel comfortable taking it off, you may want to see if you can get a mobile lock smith to do this for you.

Customer:

I already have everything out up to the the bolts I might as well go all the way Thanks

Jay :

Ya, if your already that far, that is the last thing you need to do to remove it.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!