Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

Remove and replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1999 Infiniti G20

how do you remove and replace the ignition key cylinder in my 1999 Infiniti G20
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

After you have removed the steering column cover, unplug the electrical part of the ignition switch.

Jay :

Then you will need a punch and hammer to tap the tamper proof bolts counter clock wise, so you can remove the ignition cylinder.

Jay :

I normally take the punch, and put a nice dent in the tamper proof bolt, then I tap it on where I made the dent, and tap it counter clock wise to loosen it.

Customer:

are the tamper proof bolts the two on top the the assembly

Customer:

holding it on the steering column

Jay :

They are right on top yes

Jay :

They have a break away head to it.

Customer:

is there a way to remove the key cylinder without taking the whole assembly off

Jay :

Not really. You need to remove the ignition in order to take the key cylinder apart

Customer:

once I have removed the ignition is it possible to to replace the key cylinder or is it better to just change the whole thing

Jay :

What is the problem with the ignition that you are trying to remove it?

Customer:

my daughter put the wrong key in and now the right key is not working very easily you need to jiggle it to get it to move and I am concerned it may not last very long

Jay :

It sounds like maybe one of the tumblers in the ignition my have been damaged.

Customer:

it feels like the tumblers have been damaged

Jay :

What I would do, is remove the lock cylinder and bring it to a lock smith to have the tumblers checked and repaired. It's cheaper than replacing the whole thing.

Jay :

But you will need to replace the tamper proof break away bolts after you removed them to get the ignition cylinder out.

Customer:

so I am back to taking out the two snap off bolts

Jay :

yeah

Jay :

I would use a flat ended punch to knick the side of the bolt so you can tap it counter clock wise

Customer:

so what are the two small brass pins in the side of the key cylinder for ?

Customer:

In my old

Customer:

In my old Ford I was able to use them to get the cylinder out

Jay :

Those pins are to release the cylinder, but the cap needs to be broken off and replaced when you take this cylinder a part.

Jay :

That cap around the cylinder where the key goes in, that is the cap I am talking about. That is broken off, and replaced.

Jay :

When the ignition cylinder is re-keyed

Customer:

dose Infiniti sell new cylinders or is it a job for a locksmith

Customer:

can you break off the cap and get the cylinder out without taking the whole assembly out ?

Jay :

Lock smiths have these caps in stock. The dealer does not sell the internal parts of the ignition cylinder.

Customer:

so unless I find a locksmith that dose house calls I still need to spin out the tamper proof bolts

Jay :

There is such a thing called a mobile lock smith.

Jay :

If your having problems getting the ignition off to take it to a lock smith, you may be able to find one to come to you and do this repair for you.

Customer:

last question If it was your car what would you do ?

Jay :

I would pop the ignition off and have a lock smith repair it. But I am more familiar with removing these assemblies to do that.

Jay :

If you don't feel comfortable taking it off, you may want to see if you can get a mobile lock smith to do this for you.

Customer:

I already have everything out up to the the bolts I might as well go all the way Thanks

Jay :

Ya, if your already that far, that is the last thing you need to do to remove it.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer