Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

Infiniti g35 sedan how close sunroof on g 35

Customer Question

how to close sunroof on g 35. stuck in tilt up position. makes grinding noise when trying to close. it is going to rain in a few days. 
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Most likely the bolts for the sunroof motor may have came out. I have seen this before. The front part of the head liner would need to be dropped to reinstall the bolts for the sunroof motor to correct your problem

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

how would i start removing the headliner without damaging it.

Jay :

It's tricky..

Jay :

Hold on..

Jay :

The sunvisors both need to be removed, and unplugged..

Customer:

there was a grinding noise from the motor. but the grinding noise is now gone and now its just a humming noise coming from the motor. i could clearly see the motor by unhooking the velcro from the headliner.

Jay :

The clips for them also need to be removed.

Jay :

The humming is now the motor no longer in the track, where the grinding was the motor slipping in the track..

Customer:

so the motor is still operable? how do i get the motor back on the track once i have the headliner off?

Jay :

Well, this is where it's tricky cause it may have to be timed.

Jay :

That whole upper console where the sunroof switch is, that stays on the head liner..

Customer:

good to know, i was gonna try and take that off.

Customer:

can i manually close the sunroof??

Jay :

No, it's mounted from above the headliner.

Jay :

in the tilt position.. not likely

Customer:

should i take it to the local sunroof shop and have it put back on track. the guy sure is hella of alot cheaper than the infiniti dealership.

Jay :

Click HERE to download the head liner so you can see how the front is secured so you can lower it to access the sun roof motor.

Jay :

If your comfortable with that..sure!

Customer:

how hard is it to put it back on track??

Jay :

It's not that hard, it just snaps into place and bolts right back on. But the timing the motor is the problem. That may require the motor to be removed and reinstalled a few times to get the sunroof operation in time with the motor operation.

Customer:

what happens when you bolt the motor back on and the timing of the motor is off?

Jay :

The hardest parts are dropping the head liner, and timing the motor

Jay :

That is when you need to position the sunroof, and unbolt the motor, and operate it to try to get it with in the same position of the sunroof

Jay :

I normally set it with the sunroof all the way open..

Jay :

cause when you close it, it tilts up and comes back down.

Customer:

If i take it to the dealership, how much do you think I would have to pay for the above procedure??

Jay :

It should be around 1 hour labor..

Jay :

They will tell you it's one hour diag to start.

Jay :

Which should involve dropping the front of the head liner to find the motor no longer bolted in, and takes about maybe 20 mins to get it installed and timed..

Jay :

But they shouldn't charge you anything more than that..

Jay :

If they do, I would take it to the sunroof guy

Customer:

the bad thing about the sunroof guy is that he hasn't worked on a later model infiniti. i'de be pissed if he messed up my headliner.

Customer:

does the headliner need to be completely removed or could you just leave the front half hanging?

Jay :

Just the front hanging down

Jay :

You take the two front trims off the posts by the windshield also..

Customer:

which posts?

Jay :

Towards the right and left side of the windshield.

Jay :

inside..

Customer:

ok, anyhting else I should know about? How many screws are there for the motor?

Jay :

3 torx bolts for the sunroof motor.

Customer:

Cool, thanks for you help bro!!

Jay :

Not a problem.

Jay :

That is why I am here..

Jay :

Jay :

Don't forget to press the ACCEPT button if your satisfied with my help. Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer