Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

Infiniti I30 1998 INFINIT I30 WONT START AFTER KNOCK SENSOR

1998 INFINIT I30 WONT START AFTER KNOCK SENSOR INSTALLED
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 2 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Was the whole intake removed to replace the knock sensor?

Customer:

SORRY MY INTERNET WENT OUT? AIR INTAKE?

Jay :

You took the plenum and intake off to change the knock sensor correct?

Customer:

TOOK THE AIR VENT (FILTER) OFF AND WENT IN THROUGH THE SIDE WITH A SWIVEL RATCHET.

Customer:

PUT THE NEW KNOCK SENSOR ON AND CAR DIDNT START...

Customer:

TOOK THE NEW ONE OFF AND PUT THE OLD ONE BACK ON AND CAR STILL DIDNT START BUT WAS CRANKING BEFOREHAND.

Jay :

ok, so you didn't remove the intake

Jay :

Does the engine turn over and not start?

Jay :

or does it not turn over at all?

Customer:

IT DOES NOT TURN OVER...

Jay :

It could be coincidence, but your starter may have failed.

Jay :

Do you have someone who can help you

Customer:

HOW WOULD I KNOW THAT THE STARTER FAILED?

Jay :

That is what we are going to check. Do you have someone who can help you?

Customer:

YES..

Jay :

cool

Jay :

Lets try this.

Jay :

What I would like you to do is find a long screw driver and place the blade on the starter, and tap it with a hammer while the person helping you holds the key in the crank position.

Jay :

If the engine turns over then you know it's the starter

Customer:

OK BUT FIRST HELP ME FIND THE STARTER..LOL..

Jay :

hehe

Jay :

that is right under the air intake duct on the top of the trans

Customer:

OK WE WILL TRY THAT.

Jay :

ok

Jay :

This is a stick?

Customer:

THERE WAS A PLUG THAT WASNT CONNECTED UNDERNEATH THE AIR INTAKE...SHADE TREE MECHANICS

Customer:

IM SO

Jay :

Let me guess, it was a gray connector.

Jay :

That is what goes to the starter

Customer:

THANKFUL YOU TOLD ME TO LOOK UNDER THE AIRINTAKE OR I WOULDNT HAVE FOUND IT...AND THE GUY LEFT CLUELESS. YES IT WAS A GREY CONNECTOR.

Jay :

Yeah, that is to the starter

Jay :

So you got it up and running now?

Customer:

THANK YOU SO MUCH..MY CAR AND CELLPHONE ARE MY LIFELINE..I WAS BEGINNING TO GET SICK... I AM VERY PLEASED AND SATISFIED...HOW CAN I BE IN TOUCH WITH YOU SHOULD I EVER HAVE ANY OTHER QUESTIONS OR CONCERNS...I WISH YOU WERE HERE IN CHARLOTTE AS I JUST MOVED HERE 2 MONTHS AGO AND DONT KNOW ANYBODY AT ALL AND THIS WAS SOMEBODY THAT I HAD MET AT THE PART STORE...AND I HAVE LITTLE KNOWLEDGE OF THIS CAR AS I BOUGHT IT 3 WEEKS AGO. IT SEEMS TO BE A GOOD CAR.

Jay :

I am normally online in the evenings around 7pm EST till 10 or 11 pm

Jay :

So if you have any further questions just request me, or put my name in the question so it's directed towards me.

Customer:

ALRIGHT THEN THANKS AGAIN...I WILL SELECT ACCEPT AND LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK...

Jay :

Your welcome and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer