Mike V.
Mike V., Infiniti Mechanic
Experience:  Factory trained to repair Nissan and Subaru.

2004 Infinity G35: with about 87,000 miles..VDC light

I have a 2004 Infinity G35 with about 87,000 miles on it and the VDC light is on, what does it mean?
HI there!
Are there any other lights on?
Also, is this a coupe or sedan?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Right now no, but the check engine light was on last week and went out.

It's a sedan

Ok, like to start by having you check the switch for the VDC. This is located on the dash, lower left side of the steering wheel. Like to make sure it didn't get bumped by mistake. Usually you will have other lights like the ABS light on when there is a problem with the VDC,
Please check it and let me know.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Okay, I will check the VDC switch and let you know.

But I also, just had a new battery installed last week, could that have affected it?

It is possible, but unless the light came on as soon as it was replaced, I don't believe so.
The VDC is part of the ABS system so it is really unusual for that light to be on by itself.
If the switch is not off, then switch it on and off and see if the light toggles on and off.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I will try it and will let you know.

Thank you.

Ok, sounds like a plan.
You are very welcome!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I now have othe lights on with the VDC light.

Service Engine Soon is on and the Slip light is coming on at the same time as the VDC light.

Ok, that is better...sort of, makes more sense to me anyway.
What I would do or what you need to do is try and have the check engine light scanned.
The slip and VDC will normally be disabled when the check engine light comes on.
That being said, most parts stores are capable of reading the codes for the check engine light and most will do it free.
If you want to try and have this done and post the code here with me I can help you try to figure out what is going on.
Since there are over 500 reasons for the check engine light to come on, it is hard to say what has triggered it.
More then likely if the car is still performing normally then it is likely emissions related or part of the evap system.
The code will start with a P this is what I need to provide more detailed answers.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
I will do that and will let you know.
Sounds good.
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I got the code, it is P2138. One mechanic told me it could be the throttle body another said it could be the excelerator pedal.

Hello again!
Is the engine running normally even with this code?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
No, it's going into slip mode
Ok, it should be going into limp mode so that is alright. I didn't realize this.
Normally this code is a problem with the pedal position sensor, not the throttle itself.
Most often the pedal position sensor needs to be replaced to resolve the problem. If you have a volt meter you can check the wiring to make sure it is good before replacing the sensor, but as a general rule the sensor is the culprit.
This will cause all the lights to come on that are on.