Mike O.
Mike O., Infiniti Master technician
Experience:  18 years Nissan/Infiniti experience
39767275

2007 G35: Infinity..Dealer says I..timing..going bad

My Infinity 2007 G35 is throwing code p0014. Dealer says I need to replace left and right timing valve covers due to something with the magnets going bad. Problem is mone, repair is 2300.00 and I just don't have that right now. Is this something that can damage my vehicle if I leave it for a short while or will it be ok. Also, can a non dealership mechanic possibly perfom this a bit cheaper? Thanks
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Mike O. replied 5 years ago.

Code P0014 is for the exhaust valve timing control bank 1( the passenger side). Unless you also have code P0024 which is bank 2(driver side) there shouldn't be any reason to have to change both sides. I have changed several valve timing covers on the G35's and I've only changed the sides that were throwing a code and no car has ever come back again with the engine light back on. I would have only the right side replaced. Do you have a lot of miles on your car? The VTC cover is a powertrain warranty which is 6 years/ 70,000 miles.