Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

1999 Infiniti G20: I replace the ignition switch

How do I replace the ignition switch on a 1999 Infiniti G20? Is it something that a non-professional can do?
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using

Jay :

The hardest part of changing the ignition switch is removing the tamper proof bolts. How handy are you?

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Pretty handy. I'm an engineer so I'm mechanically minded, just not a mechanic.
Expert:  Jay replied 5 years ago.
Ahh, ok. What you need is a punch and a hammer and just make a notch in the tamper proof bolt head, then tap it counter clock wise to remove the bolt. Once you removed the bolt the only other thing that is tricky is the shift lock cable. You just need to pull the metal retaining clip out to release that and just put the cable into the new one and put the clip back in. Then just bolt up the ignition, and before breaking the heads off the tamper proof bolts, do your steering wheel lock check and make sure everything works, then break off the heads, and put your column cover and lower dash panel back on.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 5 years ago.