Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!

Infiniti Hi Mike, I have a 2002 Infiniti Q45. The trunk

Hi Mike,
I have a 2002 Infiniti Q45. The trunk Lid Struts are weak and need replaced. If I open the trunk and feel up inside they go way back under the package shelf behind the back seat. I read online that the back seat has to be removed from the car to replace the struts. How do I replace the struts?
HI - and Welcome to justanswer....

Thank you for your personal request... I did look at this Question but was a little unclear as to what you needed so....

These have an auto trunk / lift opening system....... what exactly is the problem you have?

Rgds - MIKE..................................
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

Mike, I did not buy the car new and it has never raised by itself. It was about 4 years old and had 50,000 miles on it. From what you are telling me the hydro struts should be strong enough to lift the trunk lid one I activate the button on the door. It does not. That still probably means that the struts need replacing and the question I think is still the same, don I need to take out the back seat to access the other end of the trunk. If I get in the trunk and look at the struts, I can see the other end back in a pocket, but could not reach them with any tool. Thanks

Please let me know.

Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

Hello the expert you were dealing with was mistaken. The trunk lid is not suppose to lift itself. The pistons are only there to hold the lid up and make sure it does not come crashing down. What is your trunk lid doing?
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
The truck lid falls down, especially when the weather is cold or a wind is blowing. I have taken it to an Infiniti dealer and the struts are very expensive, almost $200 each. I am probably have them replace them. I have been hit on the head more than once by the falling trunk lid.
Alright, I found them for sale here for under $200 for the pair.

You may want to have the dealer replace them because the rear seats and parcel shelf has to be removed to gain access to the pistons.

Good luck! Thank you for using just

Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience: Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!