Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

1996 Infinity I30: New battery and plugs, and starter is strong

Hi There
I have an 1996 Infinity I30. I am having a problem starting it. New battery and plugs, and starter is strong. It turns over and fires and then gradually idles to a stop within 30 seconds. If you press the accelerator, in stops immediately. Any Ideas? Thanks
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Do you have a Check Engine Light on when it's running?

Customer:

Hi

Customer:

No The check engine light is not on

Jay :

I am trying to understand exactly what the car is doing. When you start the car, it starts and idles fine. But when driving and coming to a stop it stalls?

Jay :

Is that correct?

Customer:

no sorry, the car starts, idles for 10 to 15 seconds and dies. It will restart immediately, but will die again. If you try to give the car a little gas to keep it going, it stalls out right away. I have not been able to keep the car running long enough to put it in drive. Thanks Andy

Jay :

So it wants to stall as soon and you try to let the car idle?

Jay :

is that more or less the problem?

Customer:

Yes that is it, and if you try to give it gas to extend the idling time it stalls immediatly

Jay :

How handy are you, I have something you could try to see if it helps

Customer:

Pretty good, I just changed all rotors, pads and calipers on her.

Jay :

Ok, lets give this a shot then

Jay :

Remove the air intake, and get a old tooth brush and some carb cleaner and a clean rag. Then open the throttle plate and spray and scrub clean the throttle chamber. Then whip dry with the rag. Put the air intake back on and it will be hard to start at first, but ones you get it started, give the engine a nice little rev to blow it all out. Then see if the problem is resolved.

Jay :

Let me know how you make out. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Thanks Jay I will try this tomorrow if the weather holds. We are expecting another snowstorm this weekend. I will get back to you as soon as I have tried this. Andy

Jay :

You must live near me then. Snow storm coming friday here

Customer:

I am in Mount Pocono PA

Jay :

I am in NJ

Jay :

Well, when you get a chance to do this, let me know how you make out. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

hI jAY

Customer:

Sorry it has taken so long to get back to you, but I got tied up with other projects and work. I am still having problems with the 1996 Infiniti I30. I did what you said, cleaned out the throttle body, changed the cam sensor and the crank sensor as the ECM started to show these codes. Changed the fuel pump and strainer and filter, and the injector rail flow valve. Car started and ran for about an hour, and then stalled out, and would not restart. Went to junk yard and picked up a ECM module, put that in and it starts but again will only rum for 30 seconds what the heck can this be? I am totally stumped and so is the local mechanic who has been helping me with this.

Jay :

There was some harness issues on these cars on the passengers side by the strut tower where the harness bends

Jay :

wiggle and shake the harness while someone tries to start it and see if it starts, if it does, then the problem is in the harness

Customer:

Hi Jay

Customer:

Nope this was not the problem, the harness is intact. I changed the MAF sensor, and picked up a throttle body and intake manifold from the scrapyard and changed these. Still has the same problem, will start but not run. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Customer:

Thanks

Customer:

Jay :

Well, I have one last thing I can do to try to help

Jay :

I can give you the Ecm Terminal values to see if you find something out of whack.

Customer:

That would be great,

Customer:

So here is where we are at now. After sitting the car starts, will not go over 3000 RPM then she dies. She loses spark when she dies and will not restart until you leave her sit awhile. The fuel pump still turns on and injector noid is intermittent. We have replaced the fuel pump and strainer and fuel filter and fuel pump regulator. Crank sensor and Cam sensor, a used MAF sensor and ECM module, and a used IAC assembly. Checked all wiring and all seems good. Hope this information helps you diagnose the problem. Thanks Andy

Jay :

Quick question, did you happen to have a trans put in this car?

Customer:

Hi Jay

Customer:

Yes we just put in a new transmission from the junk yard. It was the locking diff type. Andy

Jay :

Ahh

Jay :

now this is starting to make sense

Jay :

I believe I know what your problem is

Jay :

But your not going to like it

Jay :

This was a problem and there was a bulletin on this.

Jay :

When replacing the trans, you need to clean the block mating surface and the transmission mating surface so when they are attached the ground can travel through the block to the trans

Jay :

So you will need to remove the trans and clean the face of the bell housing and the engine block and believe it or not, that should solve your problem

Customer:

Jay, Is it possible just to run a ground strap or two from the engine block to the transmission to save us having to remove the transmission again? Thanks Andy

Jay :

Andy, I have tried this and see people try this. You can try it, but I have not seen it work, even though in theory it should work.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

Hi Jay

Customer:

Hi Jay You are AWESOME. It took awhile, but we finally removed the Transmission, cleaned the two mating surfaces until they gleamed, and reassembled the engine. She purred like a new kitten, and has continued to do so for the past week. Thank you for solving what seemed to be a unsolvable problem. I can say that my Wife loves you.

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer