Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

1997 infiniti I30: fix..I was hoping I could get some ideas

My aunt gave me a 1997 infiniti I30 because it didn't work. She said I could have it but I have to fix it. To find a place to start, I was hoping I could get some ideas. Supposedly, the car sputtered for a while, and now it just won't start or turn over. It clicks when you turn the key buy that's it. It also apparently went through a full tank of gas in about 10 miles, like it burned out through the exhaust. Could this be the head gasket? Also, when the eccs2 fuse is plugged in, the wire that runs through the mount smokes. What does the eccs2 fuse do? And why does it cause this smoking? Any help is greatly appreciated!
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

The description is good, I think I can help give you a place to start.

Jay :

I would first start by removing the spark plugs. Then remove the fuel pump fuse, and then try to start the engine. See if Gas shoots out of the cylinders

Customer: But it doesn't even turn over.
Jay :

It may be hydro locked. That is why I want you to remove the spark plugs and fuel pump fuse.

Customer: Oh ok. Even though it has been sitting for about two years?
Jay :

If the injectors are leaking what I think, it may have loaded the cylinder with fuel, and that is why it won't turn over.

Customer: When I pull the oil dipstick out it appears to be over full and it smells like fuel
Jay :

yep

Jay :

That is why I would like you to pull plugs and the fuel pump fuse.

Jay :

Then turn the key and see if fuel shoots out of any of the cylinders, and if it does, see if you can have someone see which one if you can't tell.

Customer: Ok thank you
Jay :

That is where you are going to need to start

Jay :

I think you will find that you may have a injector stuck open. That was the first thing that came to my mind when you said that you went through a full tank of gas in 10 miles.

Jay :

and when you said it only clicks, that sounds like it's hydro locked.

Customer: All spark plugs are out. No gas shooting out, still don't turn over. Sounds exactly the same.
Jay :

Ok,

Jay :

Now, lets check to see if the starter is getting the proper voltage.

Jay :

Do you have a volt meter?

Customer: Yes
Jay :

Unplug the signal wire from the starter. That is the gray connector, and see if your getting 12 volts when you turn the key to the crank position

Jay :

I will need to get off line soon. I am normally online around 7 pm EST till around 10 pm.

Jay :

If your getting 12 volts at the starter signal wire, and the starter is not engaging, then you need a starter.

Customer: Ok thank you
Jay :

No problem. Thanks Jay!

Customer:

tested the signal wire in the starter and it gets 12 volts but the engine does not turn over. took out the starter and tested it with a battery pack and it seems to work fine. it pops out and then spins until the current is withdrawn. is there something else that could be preventing the engine from turning over?

Customer: One of the spark plug cylinders is spitting out fuel. So we need a new injector?
Jay :

Ahh, which cylinder was loaded with fuel?

Jay :

Does the engine now turn over with the plugs removed?

Jay :

What did you do? I was under the impression you had all the plugs out last night and none of the cylinders were loaded with fuel?

Customer: Took the plugs out again and ran current to the starter from a battery pack. The pulley now spins when the starter is engaged which it didn't do before.
Jay :

If you had the plugs out, and the starter wouldn't kick, it could be a bad starter. I thought of this actually last night after I got off the computer. I should of had you tap the starter with a hammer to see if it engaged

Jay :

Which cylinder was the one loaded with fuel?

Customer: We hit the starter while cranking it and still nothing. I did get a new starter but I ordered it online to save money so it won't be here for a few days. The fuel came out of the cylinder in the back closest to the passenger side.
Jay :

The first one? towards the front of the engine?

Customer: Towards the back of the engine
Jay :

Yeah I understand that. But there are 3 cylinders on the back side. If your standing in front of the car, from the left to the right, the back cylinders are cylinder 1, 3 and 5. One is the closes to the front of the engine, where 5 is closes to the back of the engine.

Jay :

keep in mind, the motor is in sideways so the front of the engine is actually facing the right front wheel

Customer: It's the one closest to the passenger side of the car
Customer: If you're facing the front of the car it's the one all the way to the left. So I guess 1
Jay :

So cylinder number one.

Jay :

yeah, that sounds like number one.

Jay :

Well this is what stinks

Jay :

That is under the plenum, so what you need to do is remove the plenum and do a ohm check on that injector and might as well just ohm check the others while you at it and if the ohm readings are out of spec, then it will need to be replaced. Let me get you the ohm specs on the injectors.

Jay :

Click HERE to download the PDF to check the injectors.

Customer: Are there any tricks to getting the bolts out of the back of the manifold?
Jay :

no, sory.

Jay :

sorry

Jay :

The back 12 mm bolts are not to bad, I think it's one of the 4 bolts that can be tricky. I think there is either 3 or 4 12mm bolts on the back side of the plenum that need to come out.

Customer: Yeah there were three on the back of the plenum that were a pain
Jay :

Well I remember one of them is a pain, the other 2 are not so bad

Customer: The other injectors have a yellow plastic tip on them but the one that is spewing is missing it. Also, what should the resistance be on the injector?
Jay :

The resistances was at the end of that check I gave you.

Jay :

It should be around 10 to 14 ohms

Jay :

If you don't have that plastic tip, then that could be why the injector is dumping and will require replacement.

Customer:

just so you don't think i am going to jip you, i am going to wait to accept until we are done going back and forth with questions and answers. i will give you a bonus as well for all your help.

Jay :

We are really suppose to keep one topic per question. I don't mind working on this with you, as long as you compensate me for the time and information I give you.

Customer: Drained all the oil out to get the leaked fuel out, let it air out over night, put everything back together. Just waiting on the starter to come in. Thanks for all your help.
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer