Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

Infiniti I30 My car wont start. 2000 Infiniti i30. Im being

Customer Question

My car won't start. 2000 Infiniti i30. I'm being told tht the security system needs to be deactivated. How do I do this? I think it's the starter. Please hurry I'm in a parking lot
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

If you turn the key to the ON position is the security light on solid?

Customer : No
Customer : Not on at all
Jay :

Are lights going off or the horn?

Customer : No
Jay :

If you turn the key to the ON position the dash warning light all come on as they should correct?

Customer : Yes
Jay :

Does the engine turn over and not start?

Jay :

does the engine engage at all?

Customer : All I hear is a click
Jay :

That indeed sounds like a starter.

Jay :

are you alone do you have someone who can help you?

Customer : Alone
Customer : So the security system has not disabled the car?
Jay :

I was going to suggest you tap the starter with your lug wrench to see if you can bump the internal contacts of the starter so we can see if it would engage, but you need someone in the car to hold the key in the crank position, and getting at the starter isn't that easy

Jay :

no it is not the security system for sure!

Customer : Arrgh
Jay :

If the security light is not on solid when the key is in the ON position, and the light are not flashing or the horn going off, then the security system is not active

Jay :

If you are getting a signal click, you either have a weak battery or a bad starter causing your problem

Customer : Not not solid. Jus blinks intermittently
Jay :

that is normall

Customer : U think I could try jumper cables or is that useless
Jay :

You can give that a try,

Customer : I will have to stop someone and ask for help
Jay :

But if that doesn't work, then see if you can get a friend to come down and turn the key to the crank position while you tap the starter

Jay :

a hammer would be best to tap the starter and it's in a tough place to hit it. It's located right under that black intake duct to the engine

Customer : Yeah but where is the starter? Ok I'm a woman
Customer : Ok
Jay :

Let me see if I can give you a location of the starter and see if you can get someone to locate it and tap it for you.

Jay :

This is a image from a Maxima, same location

Jay :

The arrow is pointing to where it's located

Customer : Ok. And honestly if it were the battery would the dash lites come on and the seat move forward when I put the key in? The radio even comes on
Jay :

yes it actually could.

Customer : Hmmm
Jay :

The starter draws amperage, not voltage

Jay :

The starter is the biggest load on the electrical cirucit

Jay :

It doesn't require much amperage to run a radio or a seat.

Jay :

But if your getting a single click, I am thinking it is a starter.

Jay :

Weak battery you could normally get a bunch of clicks

Customer : Yep just one click
Jay :

That is why I am leaning towards the starter

Jay :

It only takes about a hour or so to replace by a repair shop. Do you have AAA

Jay :

?

Customer : I bought this car less than a week ago. It ran fine then all of a sudden..
Customer : No
Customer : And it's Sunday
Jay :

You can't predict things to fail

Jay :

Some repair shops maybe open.

Jay :

Like a good year, pep boys or auto zone.

Customer : Not around here. Small city between baton rouge n new Orleans. I'll have it towed
Jay :

Sorry there is no place around to assist you.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer : Ok
Jay :

I would try looking around or asking anyone if they know of any small repair shops that maybe open. Most repair shops are closed, but there are always some open that could help you.

Jay :

Hope everything works out and thank you for using

Jay :

JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Customer : You were right. It was the starter. I've had it replaced
Jay :

Glad you got it up and running again and thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Thanks Jay!