Ryan
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!

2008 infiniti g35: battery dead..ive traced the draw..bcm..circut

Customer Question

i got a 2008 infiniti g35x that keeps on draining the battery dead. ive traced the draw down to the #2 wire coming out of the bcm. it controles the window circut. but if i unplug each of the window switches, it still has a draw. the draw starts out as .12 amps, but then spikes to 6.5 amps for a few seconds, and then goes back down to .12. it is constantly doing this causing the battery to go dead. this vechile is a flood vechile that my service writer bought and sold to a guy, and by some unlucky chance ive had the pleasure of trying to fix it for him. my question is this, is there some type of program that if it doesnt see a door switch that it can constantly send messages to the module keeping it awake and not allowing the bcm to go into sleep mode? or is there something different i can check to isolate the problem without ripping each door panel off to see if there is too much resistance in a wire that doesnt alow it to get the right voltage to allow the bcm to go to sleep? any help would be much appreciated. thx. my email address XXXXX@XXXXXX.XXX. the part thats making this so hard, is that the wiring diagrams that i have are pretty genaric, and they dont show the wire coloring. i did pull out the yellow wire on the #2 pin on the bcm, and now the drain is gone completely, but i have no power window opperation.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.com I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

How big of a draw do you have?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
6.5amps. if you look at the scope, it will sit at .12 amps for awhile, then jump up to 6.5amps for a bit, then fall down to .12amps. keeps this up until the battery is dead
Expert:  replied 3 years ago.
I have seen this type of draw before. I'm sure it seems unusual to you that it comes and goes with some regularity, but when I tell you what is going on you will understand.

These cars will power down almost everything in the car after 5 minutes. Really the only way you should be able to kill the battery is to leave the car on but not running.

Now, if you think of the one thing in the car that has power even when the key is off. The only thing on this car is the power seats. What you have is a sticking seat switch! It is probably sticking all the way in the slide back or the tilt of the seat bottom on either side. What you are seeing is the motor running and over loading the circuit breaker. After the breaker cools the motor gets power again and the cycle happens over and over again until the battery is dead. graphic
graphic
Check both your front seat switches. I bet you will find one stuck.

Good luck! Thank you for using just answer.com

PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

ASK FOR ME BY NAME IN YOUR QUESTION NEXT TIME

Save this link for future Questions My Link

Edited by Ryan on 2/20/2011 at 2:36 AM EST
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience: Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
i c now what that yellow wire all controles now. i wish they had a better wiring diagram that what they have. its hard to follow theyre wiring diagrams compaired to other makes of cars. i thank you very much for your help. brad alons
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
Yeah I know the diagrams aren't the best I have to deal with them every day. I'm glad this was helpful. If you need any other help feel free to request me in the next question you post.

Thank you using just answer.