Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

On a 97 Infiniti Q45, the power steering fluid pushes out the

On a 97 Infiniti Q45, the power steering fluid pushes out the resivoir. We bled the system and seems to quiet down and no air into res but whe you turn the car off, it pushes the fluid(a lot) out the cap.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Does it push out of the steering reservoir when turning the wheel?

Customer:

No only when we filled it and bled it then shut it off. Now it is quiet and doesnt leak except air out the the cracked res when we shut thew car off

Jay :

First thing is this

Customer:

Is the system a sealed system? Could air being introdeced wwhile running cause the overflow and poor steering after a time?

Jay :

On the reservoir make sure your not over filled, and that the fluid level when warm is at the MAX level and no over. Cause if it's over it will come out the top when turned off

Customer:

We are at that., But with the cracked top of the res, will the air being introduced cause it to push fluid out?

Jay :

Do you see the fluid circulating in the reservoir when the car is running?

Customer:

Yes

Jay :

Then you may have a problem with the power steering rack

Jay :

The circulation means the pump is working, but the rack can cause the over flowing problem and also allow air in to the system as well

Customer:

The air seems to come from the cracked resivoir.Because when the car is shut off, air pushes out of the top of the res, not the cap but around the top edge of the res. If this does not cause the overflow, you are suggesting the rack, correct?

Jay :

It's going to be caused by one of two things

Jay :

The pump or the rack

Jay :

The pumps are very rare, and since you see the fluid circulating , I would lean towards the rack.

Jay :

Racks are more common than pumps.

Customer:

ok thanks

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer