ROY
ROY, Nissan Master
Experience:  Nissan Master and ASE certified Master Technician
8127795

I know if my alternator is bad or do i have a bad battery?i..jump

Customer Question

how do i know if my alternator is bad or do i have a bad battery?i did take the positive cable off after a jump and it keep on running....
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  ROY replied 3 years ago.

ROY :

HI!

Customer:

hello roy

ROY :

if your alternator is charging 14 volts and battery was charged , then dead again you could have a bad battery or a draw on the system

ROY :

I would have the battery load tested again if good then check for a voltage draw when key is off

Customer:

the tech at advance auto said that the battery could use a charge but it was ok to return tomorrow to get a full charge...he did a check on the battery ,alternator,and starter with this hand held device that spit out readings on all the devices...he said the alternator was good and the starter was to and gave me the readings

ROY :

OK! if the starter motor and alternator checked out ok then you could still need a battery , I would charge it then load test the battery for proper amps to make sure it holds the load, this will make sure it will have the proper cranking amps.

Customer:

ok! i did have to fill the holes at the top of the battery with more water was that correct course of action?

ROY :

you do not fill the battery with water if low , this is not good for batttery it should be about a 1/2 inch down dont fill it . if real low replace the battery damage is done .

Customer:

im under warrantee should i have them replace it?

ROY :

I would replace it yes if was low on water and charge

Customer:

i couldnt really tell how far the water in the battery was ,but he did tell me that battery level was low

ROY :

this is a good sign the battery was overheating and should be replaced

Customer:

ok thanks roy !! u been quite helpful!! have a good nite sir!!

ROY :

your welcome and good luck , ROY!

ROY, Nissan Master
Experience: Nissan Master and ASE certified Master Technician