Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

How do I remove the old power antenna mast.

How do I remove the old power antenna mast. 2000 Infinity G20
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Jay :

Did you remove the nut for the antenna yet? Here is a image on how the mast is secured.

Full Size Image

Jay :

I know this is a QX4 image, but they all work the same way.

Jay :

if you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer :

I just tried following the diagram. I'm still unable to pull the mast out. From looking at the replacement, it appears that there is a "clip" on the outer sleeve that needs to be depressed. The antenna is in the rear fender and I am unable to see where I think the sleeve should be.

Jay :

There is no clip.

Jay :

When the mast gets broken, it can get jammed into the motor

Jay :

So it may require some force to remove the broken mast

Jay :

I have had to actually remove the antenna motor some times, and put the mast into a vise and pull on the motor to get it out.

Jay :

There is a sleeve at the bottom of the mast, but that acts as a shim to keep the mast tight. It doesn't lock in to anything. The nut is what retains the sleeve and the mast from coming out when the antenna goes up.

Customer :

I still have not gotten it out. I will try again tomorrow.

Jay :

Ok. You may need to remove the motor if the mast is stuck in there that good.

Jay :

You did remove that top nut off right?

Customer :

I have tried to pulled it out with the nut off and on but very loose. When I pull up on the outer or lower sleeve it comes up and stops with a metal a hitting metal sound.

Jay :

the nut has to be completely off. If you can't get the mast out, then the motor will need to be removed to try to get the mast out.

Jay :

If you have play, it should come right out

Jay :

Push down and yank up

Jay :

If you can't get it out. Then you will have to remove the power antenna motor and try to get it off out of the car.

Customer :

I've done the push down and yank up many times. I'm trying to think of some way of getting a better hold on it other than vise grips.

Jay :

Then you will need to remove the motor from the car

Jay :

to try to get it out

Jay :

I have taken apart the motor, and remove the tube from the motor and put the mast in a vise to get it out

Jay :

If you have to much trouble getting the mast out, then you may need to replace the motor.

Jay :

But normally you can get the mast out. Some times they can be buggers to get out when broken

Jay :

Especially when there isn't much to grab.

Customer :

My mast is not broken. It binds and will only extend 6 or 8 inches.

Jay :

ok

Jay :

You will then need to remove the motor, and take it apart to remove the mast.

Jay :

What is most likely happening is the mast is bent, that that is what is keeping it from coming out

Jay :

It feels like a clip, cause of the bend, but there is no clip.

Jay :

The motor is secured by the Top antenna mast nut, and one or two 10 mm bolts inside the truck area. The right side trunk lining needs to be removed, or folded back to access the mounting. Then there is a clear drain hose on the bottom off the motor assembly that just sticks out the bottom of the fender for water draining.

Jay :

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!

Customer :

How do I return to this session tomorrow?

Jay :

Just log into JustAnswer and come back to this question

Jay :

I am normally here evenings after 7 pm EST till around 10 to 11 pm EST almost every day.

Customer :

OK, talk to you tomorrow.

Jay :

Take care.

Customer :

Do you have instructions/diagram for removing the motor?

Jay :

The manual doesn't give directions. I already instructed you on how to remove it.

Jay :

he motor is secured by the Top antenna mast nut, and one or two 10 mm bolts inside the truck area. The right side trunk lining needs to be removed, or folded back to access the mounting. Then there is a clear drain hose on the bottom off the motor assembly that just sticks out the bottom of the fender for water draining.

Jay :

Then there is the antenna wire that plugs into it, and the electrical connector that plugs into the motor.

Jay :

Thanks Jay!

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer