Jay
Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
10181755

how will i know if my alternator failed

Customer Question

how will i know if my alternator failed
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.

Jay :

Hello and Thank you for using JustAnswer.com

Customer:

no problem

Jay :

Most common when Alternators fail, the battery and brake light will come on. Sometimes it may not, cause the alternator is still charging but not charging enough. So components could stop working then the car could stall

Jay :

What seems to be your problem?

Customer:

i heard an unusual noise,

Customer:

then the lights on the dashboard started flickering

Jay :

What did the noise sound like?

Customer:

the ABS light came on and off and the meters started going crazy like there was a glitch

Customer:

the noise was like the car was laborig

Jay :

Yeah, ABS light comes on also when equip with abs. Cause it see's abnormal battery voltage

Jay :

When your driving at night, that is when the most loads are on and the alternator is working the hardest. Gauges flickering and lights coming on, is a sign of a charging system issue, normally the alternator.

Customer:

ok so what do u suggest

Customer:

bcuz mycar stalled

Jay :

If it stalled, I would let it sit for a little, so the battery since it was discharged due to low charging voltage, can recover. Then I would jump start the car, and see if you can get the car running long enough to get the car to a safe location so you can either have it towed, or see if you can make it home or to your local repair shop to make the repairs and checks. Try to drive with as little items on. No radio no air try not to use blinkers unless you have to.

Customer:

so what about the battery......could the battery be the problem

Jay :

Yes and no

Jay :

I say that because of this.

Jay :

The alternator is what keeps the car running. If you have the car running, you can disconnect the battery, and the car will not stall, cause the car is running off the alternator.

Jay :

But the alternator can kill the battery and cause the battery to go bad.

Jay :

Do you have any more questions on this?

Customer:

how much will it cost to fix

Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience: 20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
Give me min to look that up.
Expert:  Jay replied 3 years ago.
The part is around $280 bucks and should be around 2 hours labor.

Thanks for the Accept and if you have any more questions on this, please feel fre to ask. Thanks Jay!