Ryan
Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!

200 Infiniti G20 L4-2.0L. idling problem.

Customer Question

200 Infiniti G20 L4-2.0L. idling problem. does not happen all the time, but- when stopped for more than a few seconds, and the air conditioner is on, the car's idle speed drops below 666 to 333 and then jumps up again, but , sometimes stops completely. It happens sometimes when the a/c is not on. As I said, this is not all the time, but, often enough to create a concern.
My mechanic thinks it is the Idle Air Control Valve - Auxiliary Air Control that may be the problem. He would like to know how to test the idle air control solenoid, and which color wires should be probed.
I am willing to replace the part, if that is the correct answer.
Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just Answer.com I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

The IACV may be the issue. Do you ever have a hard time restarting the car?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
Ok then, It seems likely that it is an Idle control issue. Do you have a check engine light on?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
no engine light
Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
OK I would first start with an Idle volume learn. I will post the procedure.
graphic
If that does not fix your issue, I will post the IACV trouble diagnostic procedure. Have your mechanic start at step 8 first. graphicgraphicgraphicgraphicgraphic
graphic

Good luck! Thank you for using just answer.com

PLEASE BE SURE TO LEAVE POSITIVE FEEDBACK!

ASK FOR ME BY NAME IN YOUR QUESTION NEXT TIME

Save this link for future Questions My Link
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

HI- your reply was good, but, need more help.

steps 1,4,5,6,7,8 Pass

Steps 2-3 will require 1 hr. more time???and would the system work correctly at ALL is these were open or shorted...Any electrical circuit relay on any car. Question for the solnoid - it is right as far as specs go..Could it still not perform correctly when hot or needing to change performance when switching a/c on or off, and needing to make idle speed corrections.

Expert:  Ryan replied 3 years ago.
because this is an intermittent problem it may difficult to find the problem. You may have to bite the bullet and go a head and replace the IACV. I would recommend you do so because in most cases I have found when the IACV fails it spikes the ECM. The ECM is the main computer in your car and is very expensive. So it would be better to err on the side of caution.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
could you please add to him that I CANNOT pull codes from the computer on the car for running condition's,driveability problem's etc.And you DO have a running issue.I drove the car around the block this am and went down cook st to see it faulter a bit til warmed up.I believe you might have told me about this before...?? The check engine light SHOULD be on now just for that and IS NOT.My scanner's BOTH of them show connection error problem's....definitely the car,not both scanner's..??????????????????????????