Jay, Certified Infiniti Technician
Experience:  20+years, Nissan and Infiniti experience and currently now working for a Infiniti Dealer

I disconnect electrical wiring from a Q45A alternator

How do I disconnect electrical wiring from a Q45A alternator in order to remove it?
Hello and Thank you for using

There is one big electrical plug connector that plugs into the Alternator. To remove it, just pinch and pull. Since it's older it may be a bit tight to remove, or the push button may be broken. So you may have to use a pick to push the lock tabs, and pry out the connector.

Then there is the constant hot wire, that is secured to the Alternator by one 12 mm nut, that you just remove to remove that wire.

If you have any more questions on this, please feel free to ask. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate your rapid and helpful response; however, I now need to know the best way to reach the connector and the hot wire as space to work is at an extreme premium.

I was just getting off for the night. You caught me. Here is the directions out lined in the service manual on how to remove the alternator.graphic

If you have any more questions on this, I will be back online tomorrow evening at around 7 pm EST. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I appreciate your reference to the shop manual; however, I have been using the shop manual but it isn't written in sufficient detail to be of any help with my question.

I am going to opt out and allow another expert to help you . I was suppose to be off 9 mins ago.

Thanks Jay!
Sorry about last night. I had to get off. It was late. What I normally do to get the wires off, is to remove the alternator and pull it forward to get the electrical parts. I think if I remember right there is also a 10 mm bolt secured to the back of the alternator also.

If you need further assistance on this, let me know. I will be on later this evening. Thanks Jay!
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Hi Jay:

First, I finally pulled the alternator thanks to part of the info you provided. Your latest reply added the missing connection: the 10MM bolt that is the E (ground) terminal. So, to summarize,there is the 12MM nut that is the B (battery)terminal, the 10MM bolt that is the E (ground) terminal, and the electrical plug which is the S/L terminal. The key to being able to remove the wiring to these connections is to obtain enough slack in the wiring which will allow you to pull the alternator out far enough forward to access the connections. I found a tie wrap around the alternator wiring harness that I was able to cut which provided me just the amount of slack I needed to remove the wires from the alternator. The electrical plug (S/L terminal) gave me the most trouble because I couldn't determine where the release tab was. I ended up removing it using brute force which did the trick with only some cosmetic damage to the connector. I hope that this experience of mine will be of some help in your future work. Thanks again.