Ryan, Infiniti Master Tech
Experience:  Infiniti Master available by request Thank you!!!

2006 G35: drives..intermitent no start will crank

My wife drives a 2006 G35 and recently has complained of an intermitent no start condition. She says the car will crank but will not fire. This has happened 2-4 times over the last 2 weeks and she says the car will then start after trying to start it on the third try. I took the car to Modern Infiniti in Greensboro, NC last week for the Air Bag recall and asked them to check it out. They suggested a new Infinitiy key and reprograming. He said my aftermarket key was the problem and the car had a NATS code. I now wonder if they even scaned the ECM (There was no charge on my bill for that) or just assumed it was a NATS issue because of my aftermarket key. I asked if original Infinity keys wore out and caused NATS problems and he indicated that that was not usually the case. Well my wife has the original Infinity key and that is the key she has always used and that is the key that was being used when the intermitent no start occured. I hate to buy a new OEM key and pay to reprogram the system if that isn't the issue. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks for your help.

Category: Infiniti
Expert:  Ryan replied 6 years ago.

Hi My Name isXXXXX you for using Just I am an Infiniti Master Technician and I will do my best to assist you with your Question

Ok I need a little more info. First does your G have Intelligent key? If not do you have anything els on the key ring? Like a Mobil speed pass, or an other cars key? Third, When this happens does the security light stay on? This would definitely indicate a NATS malfunction.

Did they say which NATS code they got? That information would be helpful.

Edited by InfinitiExpert on 10/15/2010 at 2:21 PM EST
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

The key doesn't have a visable chip, but the plastic housing has a small rectangular panel that may house one. We have other keys on the ring but no car keys. There may be a Mobil speedpass on that key chain as well. The last time it occured was Friday and my wife said that the security light was not illuminated at the time. I just had a tech scan the system and there was a PO 1615 code stored. He cleared that code. Thanks,

Expert:  replied 6 years ago.
The reason why I asked is because any other transponder device like a Mobil speed pass or another car key that has a chip in it can interfere with the keys chip and cause a no start..

remove the speed pass and see if the problem goes away.