Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Boyfriend recorded an argumen on his phone in his pocket

Boyfriend recorded an argumen on his phone in his pocket without my consent. He has threatened to distribute it to family and friends
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: New zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Thanks
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing filed or reported
Customer: replied 11 days ago.
I came home late from a friend's house and he asked to search my phone as he was insecure about where I'd been. He got upset as I had messaged an ex boyf telling him I'm sorry to hear about his mother's passing. My boyf antagonist me and then I got sock of it and spoke to him in not the best manner and he started recording without my knowledge. He has recently told me about this and states he wishes to speak with my parents. The context is on his terms as he was aware of the recording and he may play it to my family. I am wondering what my rights are and if he decides to use this against me in future. Thank you

If he took this recording without your consent then there are number of issues. The first is that you can complain to the Privacy Commissioner if this is used without your consent. The second is that if he does share this it could be a breach of the Harmful Digital Communications Act and although this is new law, people have been sent to jail for serious breaches. The third is that this would be criminal blackmail which also carries a jail sentence. His best course is to delete this

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
Thank you very much ��

I would suggest now that it is morning you have a serious discussion about this with him. If he is going though your phone messages, then he has some issues. I hope this gets sorted however