Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

My son is in remand for cutting off his bracelet. He was

Customer Question

My son is in remand for cutting off his bracelet. He was given 8 months home detention for other arson, as he set alight a blanket in the mental health unit in Wanganui, after he voluntary admired himself self there and was unable to leave again. He has complex issues such as asperges, verbal dyspraxia, develop mental delay, PTSD, marijuana dependency and mental health...is there a chance he can get bail until sentencing?
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New Zealand
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: What does that mean?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

I think with a breach of home detention, he is most unlikely to get bail until sentencing. Home detention is the last step before jail, so cutting off the bracelet is treated seriously, and jail is inevitable. The time he spends on remand will be taken into account for his jail sentence, and even with good reports on his social and addition issues, he will be jailed. If jail is inevitable bail will not be granted. Removing the bracelet is also a specific factor in considering bail , so will be held against him.