Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Second opinion] Does "funny money" such as strip club money

Customer Question

Second opinion] Does "funny money" such as strip club money act as a bank note; if you were to print "funny money", and use within a Enterprise what laws would be broken, as you are not actually handing over real money.So I am clear if I copy a coupon that they use in\house, then produce the coupon and ceive real money back what laws are broken.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.
I am the only New Zealand lawyer on the site at present so a second opinion is not possible. Perhaps if you describe the use more specifically I could be more definite
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Print coupon.Supply coupon to reception.Receive real bank note. ( as if we did not want to carry the coupon anymore and not use it inhouse)Leave building.

As long as the coupon remains in house, that is permissible. You can buy at reception and then obtain a refund as you leave. If that is done I see no problem.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't think you know what I am asking. I am asking what laws, if any, will I be breaking if I print someone else's coupon myself and then go to that exact company and use the refund policy to exchange the coupon for money.

That would be a crime of forgery if you did not have authority to print the coupon from the business. Section 256 Crimes Act says

(1)Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 10 years who makes a false document with the intention of using it to obtain any property, privilege, service, pecuniary advantage, benefit, or valuable consideration.

(2) Every one is liable to imprisonment for a term not exceeding 3 years who makes a false document, knowing it to be false, with the intent that it in any way be used or acted upon, whether in New Zealand or elsewhere, as genuine.

(3) Forgery is complete as soon as the document is made with the intent described in subsection (1) or with the knowledge and intent described in subsection (2).