Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am a bank manager.I initiated a great selling opportunity

Customer Question

Hi ...i am a bank manager.I initiated a great selling opportunity for one of the schools in our area to sell their cook books in our bank.There were a lot of orders and we made over 4k for the school.However over the course of selling the books which went on for 5 months cash sales were stored in a "tub" marked cook books in the bank cash area.As I initiated the idea I kept on checking the cash and at times removed and placed in my managers locked cabinet.Time came to balance and hand over cash to the school.I made sure that counting my cash and the cash in the cash room the school balanced at the end of the day.This was 6 months ago.A particular staff member at the branch has taken umbrage that cash was "removed" and has stated that she is very unhappy about what I did.I am concerned now my actions could cause confusion.Please can you advise me going forward.
Submitted: 15 days ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 15 days ago.

If the cash has balanced and there has not been any irregularity, this staff member is in a position where she must be very careful. If she is accusing you of theft, which is the implication, then that is clearly defamatory, and you should talk to her superior at the school and explain you are hurt and disappointed about the accusation.

You should also talk to your manager who I assume was aware of the money being secured, which would I assume be for security reasons. You should explain that there is nothing wrong but that this staff member has implied this was irregular. This will ensure that your act of caution is noted and they should back you up for being careful, I wonder if this staff member contemplated just leaving the cash around? That would not be sensible in my view. Does she say what should have been done instead?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Hi chris
this is the branch staff member
l am only hearing from 3rd party at this stage

Is the school staff member talking to someone else to criticise what you have done?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Just to confirm this is bank staff member and yes she is clearly talking the issue with her colleagues
I have to agree that we should have managed better but we still balanced in the end
this staff member is I think suggesting I did take money ...but gosh 6 months later ??

What she is saying is defamatory, and you may need to confront her and ask why she has said this. If you dont want to do so, perhaps a lawyers letter stating that if she is accusing you of theft, then she will need to face a case of defmation in court.