Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I am looking for advice as to what my next steps should be.

Customer Question

I am looking for advice as to what my next steps should be. I have been told by my employer that my role as an Office Manager has been disestablished and replaced with a Business Manager role. This role is likely to be advertised I am unqualified for the new role.
I did not see this coming and I believe the purpose for the re-organisation has not been described in good faith.
There has been rumors that I have not been performing but I have never been officially given warning or had any written feedback regarding my performance.
I believe they have done this to have me leave the organisation. This has caused my considerable stress and I am unsure how to respond to them.
Regards
Phillippa Ell
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

The key to redundancy is that there must be a genuine reason for the role being disestablished, and they they must then consult properly with you. If they take these steps then they can decide to make you redundant, but if the work is being done by someone else, but with a new label, you are right to query this as possibly not genuine. The consultation must give you the opportunity to be heard and listened to, but they dont have to adopt any suggestions.

So the questions are whether this is a genuine redundancy, and what consultation they propose to discuss this.