Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

If I work for a New Zealand division of a multi national

Customer Question

If I work for a New Zealand division of a multi national company( H O Japan) and had been offered and accepted a role in the US office( to start next January once visa were through) which was subsequently withdrawn( told I would revert back to my old NZ role) two months later can I claim unjustified dismissal under NZ law. Also I was unfairly treated etc as well( not in good faith etc ). My NZ CEO was fully aware of both the increased job offer and subsequent withdrawal.
Does NZ employment law apply to actions of US based employees ? or do I take a PG against my NZ office as they allowed/approved all of the above?
Mnay thanks
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 4 months ago.

If the contract was in New Zealand and you were doing the work here, and the new job offer, as withdrawn, was negotaited here then you would have jurisdiction to bring a personal grievance here.

The test for an employment contract is the place where you entered the contract. So if you were offred a job in New Zealand and accepted this here, even though you would then relocate, you can bring a claim.