Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  38 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Im am main benifiecrie of my uncles will my uncles partner

Customer Question

im am main benifiecrie of my uncles will my uncles partner of 2 years but living together for 1 and a bit was left with an set amount but is wanting to contest the will and would like to have a bout 35-40% of the estate my question i guess would be does he have a case
JA: Since estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: newzealand auckland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: so he has sent the estate laywer a letter wanting to discuse this with myself and my brother are majority benifieriys and other benificery 3 are minors we have said we decline to a meeting as dificatlys would be to have us all agree
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: not that i can think abart for that the will is very clear and states who is to get what partner 100,000 myself and brother 35% and my 3 minor cusins 10%
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 5 months ago.
I think you definitely should try to meet to discuss this, perhaps with a professional mediator to help you reach a settlement, as going to court always costs a lot in legal fees. The mediator can facilitate a discussion and settlement which could get this completed quickly and much more cheaply
Even if the claim is not strong this will still cost money to defend in court and damage the family relationships.