Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

Here, I have been asked by a friend to act as an agent in

Customer Question

Hi. ***** ***** here
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I have been asked by a friend to act as an agent in NZ, I am from Melbourne, Victoria the house is in Christchurch with Ms B, my friend it is her fathers estate
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I have an email from Peter ***** *****, from Sacha Nepe in Hamilton he says he is a lawyer
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I've been asked to act as an agent, where i supposedly get 30% of the property on sale but I have to cover costs
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What law is this under ? I have never heard of anyone acting as an agent for an estate. How do I know Peter ***** ***** from Sacha Nepe in Hamilton is really a lawyer? Is this a scam? I dont have any documentation other than a couple of emails. How can I sort this out ?
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

Sacha Nepe is a sole practitioner in Hamilton but I couldnt find an Andrew ***** ***** listed as a lawyer working for her, on the New Zealand Law Society website.

Normally a lawyer acting in an estate would just sell the property and an arrangment to appoint an agent and pay 30% is pretty unusual. I wonder if someone has taken a genuine lawyers details and is camming you without the lawyer knowing. An agent would never have to cover costs either and I suspect there is something going on. You could try contacting Sacha Nepe at her number in Hamilton (07(###) ###-####and asking her. She may want to know if someone is spoofing her.