Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I have recently taken my partner overseas and paid for

Customer Question

Hi I have recently taken my partner overseas and paid for everything. Whilst on holiday I found out she was on tinder and had arranged meetings with guys for when we returned. We have been together for two years but she deceived me by arranging this holiday with the intention of leaving me after.
Is there a legal course I can take to have her pay for the trip and gifts she bought on my credit card? Is this theft by deception ? Thanks Paul
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

This is a difficult area. When you bought the airfares and gifts, this was something you did as a gift, with no expectation she would contribute. While she has behaved badly by deciding to leave you, you cannot undo the gifts. I dont expect there were any conditions except thatshe would travel with you, and she has done that. If you tried to recover the costs and claimed fraud she would likely say there were no conditions. You could of course just ask her to pay something as what she did was pretty heartless, and if she has any conscience she may do so