Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

I accidentally plug the pipe to the wrong pipe so instead of

Customer Question

Hi, i accidentally plug the pipe to the wrong pipe so instead of going away, the water was going to storage room. everything got wet and the room need to be cleaned up. Im renting through a rental agency and when we did the check in, they didn't mention anything about that pipe and then they've done 3 inspections and never notice anything. It's just today the when the landlord open the room that they notice the damage. who's to pay? what's my right?? please help
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

If you do not have your own insurance then, this can come out of your bond. But since this was your mistake you will need to discuss repairs with the landlord and will need to pay for these. I suggest if its a lot of money then ask if you can pay this off in your rent. But the landlord may have his own insurance so you should ask if that will cover the damage