Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We have a lot of speeding cars in our nabourhood, how do we

Customer Question

Hi Chris ,we have a lot of speeding cars in our nabourhood, how do we complaint to our local council. It will be Waikato Council.
JA: Because traffic laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Franklin Tuakau.
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Not yet.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's all thanks.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 2 months ago.

District councils can be involved in setting speed limits, but the enforcement of speed is an issue for the police. The New Zealand Transport Agency has some jurisdiction over speed limits on state highways and general policy development over speed limits. So if it is the speed limit which is the problem, and you want the limits reduced on particular roads, your local council can change this on the roads in the jurisdiction, but any state highways should be a matter for the New Zealand Transport Agency. If the speed limits are not a problem, but it is people exceeding those limits, then it would need to be the police, and I would suggest start with your local police.

If you want specific contact details for any of these agencies please let me know