Chris The Lawyer
Chris The Lawyer, Lawyer
Experience:  37 years qualified as a lawyer; LLB, MMgt and FAMINZ.
32702153

We are a community based organisation and we have a woman

Customer Question

We are a community based organisation and we have a young woman that English is her second language. She got served by the father of her 4 children with a Parenting Order. She took the children to the father in response to the order immediately on the same day. What can she do in response to that in order for her to see her children while going through the response process please?
JA: What state are you in? It matters because laws vary by location.
Customer: I assume you are in NZ? we are in Auckland
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: By who?
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The mother is devastated and going through emotional distress because she misses her children range from the ages of 12, 9, 7 and 3. She separated from the children's father in 2011 but he kept coming back to them in need of somewhere to stay. They had never been in a couple relationship since 2011 but she loves her children and that is her reason of accepting the children's father to hang around.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: New Zealand Law
Expert:  Chris The Lawyer replied 1 month ago.

It seems unusual that the children have been taken away if she has been looking after the children for the last five years. She needs to see a lawyer as a matter of urgency to file an application in response. Normally parenting and contact issues are first dealt with by FDR mediation. If she has not been through mediation, and this is come out of the blue, then she urgently needs to see a lawyer and apply for legal aid to investigate what has happened and to start the contact procedure. If you need some names of lawyers I can make some suggestions if you confirm your suburb